Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I deal with a "Too many different cell formats".

I keep getting the message "Too many different cell formats" which is
prfeventing me from completing my current assignment. The file that I am
working on has grown to about 4MB.

Is there a way in which I can go around thgis probelm?

--
Paul Gauci
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Further to my question.
I am trying to remove some formatting (am avoiding the Edit-Clear-Format
command for the moment as this will require me to carry out a major
reformatting of over 60 worksheets), but I am not being permitted to undo
such formats. I basiccally need to avoid redoing most of my work.
--
Paul Gauci

"Paul Gauci" wrote:

I keep getting the message "Too many different cell formats" which is
prfeventing me from completing my current assignment. The file that I am
working on has grown to about 4MB.

Is there a way in which I can go around thgis probelm?

--
Paul Gauci

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Paul

The limit is easy to reach in versions pre 2007. Any difference is counted
as different, size, colour, border, bold, etc. You will need to clear some
to allow you to get by the error, but then set up some styles under
FormatStyles... This way you can be sure you are formatting 10 different
styles all the same rather than the random way most formatting is organised.

Still may mean re-doing quite a bit of work

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Paul Gauci" wrote in message
I keep getting the message "Too many different cell formats" which is
prfeventing me from completing my current assignment. The file that I am
working on has grown to about 4MB.

Is there a way in which I can go around thgis probelm?

--
Paul Gauci

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe...

XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats

A few people have said that OpenOffice.Org has been able to open the file. Then
they clean it up and save it there. Then excel can open that cleaned up
version.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-104 meg download or a CD

"Paul Gauci" wrote:

I keep getting the message "Too many different cell formats" which is
prfeventing me from completing my current assignment. The file that I am
working on has grown to about 4MB.

Is there a way in which I can go around thgis probelm?

--
Paul Gauci

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Dave

Actually some time ago I experienced a corruption of a Word file which
contained a large multi-page table and I managed to solve the problem by
following the Open Office procedure. I tried it out as a last resort after
the save-to-web page approach
failed.

I shall try this procedure out with my excel file and post the result.

Paul
--
Paul Gauci

"Paul Gauci" wrote:

I keep getting the message "Too many different cell formats" which is
prfeventing me from completing my current assignment. The file that I am
working on has grown to about 4MB.

Is there a way in which I can go around thgis probelm?

--
Paul Gauci

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave

I have tried the Open Office procedure and it has worked. Now I am in a
position to reformat the file. Until I tried this procedure I was finding it
very difficult [well, actually impossible] to reformat the file and was about
to apply the Edit-Clear-Format command to all the sheets.

Paul

Pau
--
Paul Gauci

"Paul Gauci" wrote:

I keep getting the message "Too many different cell formats" which is
prfeventing me from completing my current assignment. The file that I am
working on has grown to about 4MB.

Is there a way in which I can go around thgis probelm?

--
Paul Gauci

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Richard,
Did you look at the entire thread you posted in for previous
answers, the poster accepted the
first solution offered which was by Dave Peterson,
which was 18 days before your 'reply' post trying
to reactivate it without any input.
http://google.com/groups?threadm=45A...zonXSPAM.ne t

The other solution that was offered, after the first solution was
found to work, was a package to purchase.

If you want to read more see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...sp.htm#formats

If you do not see an entire thread you might want to check
out the posting in Google Groups to read the entire thread.
See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm

---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel