Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default FIND command

Hi

Are there any ways to configure the behaviour of the 'FIND' search box? I
edit large files containing product numbers and descriptions and use the
find command to quickly locate an item by its part number. The only problem
then is that I have to close the FIND box before I can do anything on the
spreadsheet. I then have to open the FIND box again, input my search and
then close again before continuing.

Is there a way to keep the FIND box open and available whilst still able to
work on the spreadsheet without having to close and reopen every time?

TIA
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Are you familiar with Data Filter Autofilter........
very handy for locating items within a column....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Paul Blarmy" wrote:

Hi

Are there any ways to configure the behaviour of the 'FIND' search box? I
edit large files containing product numbers and descriptions and use the
find command to quickly locate an item by its part number. The only problem
then is that I have to close the FIND box before I can do anything on the
spreadsheet. I then have to open the FIND box again, input my search and
then close again before continuing.

Is there a way to keep the FIND box open and available whilst still able to
work on the spreadsheet without having to close and reopen every time?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Try it, you'll like it............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Paul Blarmy" wrote:

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:27:01 -0800, ?B?Q0xS?= wrote...

Are you familiar with Data Filter Autofilter........
very handy for locating items within a column....

Thanks for the reply.

My data file has several columns and the data I am looking for could be
in any one. Once I have found it I delete the whole line (product
description etc) and then look for another *different* bit of data.

Not sure that the above would help in that case.

--
EMail address is disposable and never checked.
Outgoing message is certified VIRUS FREE by

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can simply click on the cell that the find command found or actiate your
sheet and then you should be able to work with your sheet without closing the
find window. That is what i am doing everyday.

Thanks,
--
Farhad Hodjat

"Paul Blarmy" wrote:

Hi

Are there any ways to configure the behaviour of the 'FIND' search box? I
edit large files containing product numbers and descriptions and use the
find command to quickly locate an item by its part number. The only problem
then is that I have to close the FIND box before I can do anything on the
spreadsheet. I then have to open the FIND box again, input my search and
then close again before continuing.

Is there a way to keep the FIND box open and available whilst still able to
work on the spreadsheet without having to close and reopen every time?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It works fine for me as well, but I'm using Excel 2003
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"Paul Blarmy" wrote:

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:26:02 -0800, ?B?RmFyaGFk?= wrote...

You can simply click on the cell that the find command found or actiate your
sheet and then you should be able to work with your sheet without closing the
find window. That is what i am doing everyday.

Nope, can't do it. The sheet is greyed out (deactivated) and I *have* to
close the find box first.

Using Excel2000 on a WinXP box.

Curious.

--
EMail address is disposable and never checked.
Outgoing message is certified VIRUS FREE by
*me* using nothing more than common sense.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you've hit the nail on the head Michael. I'm using Excel 2003 and
have no probs at all.
In fact, coincidentally, I've had some very interesting correspondence with
J Latham on this subject, the same day as Paul's question. It's 16 places
down on the same thread list. The Rowliner system of Chip Pearson's is very
enlightening indeed. It's worth a look.
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/excelM.htm
Good Luck
--