Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can locating "FIND" results be made easier on the eyes? [Office 20

I have many thousand Names listed against separately numbered cells on many
A4 pages on one worksheet.
e.g. Numbered Cell: BZ,2012[with No 20251] against Named Cell: CA,2012 [with
NAME]

Then, when I want to view a name against a particular number I use the
Edit-Find facility, which works well. But, with so many on the sheet, its
not easy to spot the one thats selected. So, is there a way one can
incorporate a colour thats automatically applied to the selected cell?
My eyes are Very Old and would appreciate some assistance in spotting the
cell!

Also, is it possible to locate and automatically show Found numbers on
different sheets in the same workbook? with the sheets changing on each
Find request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A little routine that Chip Pearson has available may assist you:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/excelM.htm
Scroll down the page (or use Find) to the topic
Highlighting The Active Cell
and put that code in your workbook's code module.

To do that, right-click on the Excel icon just to the left of the [File]
menu entry and choose View Code at the bottom of the list that appears. Cut
and paste Chip's code in it. The first line (the definition line of the Sub)
may appear in red text because it may get split across two lines improperly,
Just edit it to make it a single line.

"Brymor" wrote:

I have many thousand Names listed against separately numbered cells on many
A4 pages on one worksheet.
e.g. Numbered Cell: BZ,2012[with No 20251] against Named Cell: CA,2012 [with
NAME]

Then, when I want to view a name against a particular number I use the
Edit-Find facility, which works well. But, with so many on the sheet, its
not easy to spot the one thats selected. So, is there a way one can
incorporate a colour thats automatically applied to the selected cell?
My eyes are Very Old and would appreciate some assistance in spotting the
cell!

Also, is it possible to locate and automatically show Found numbers on
different sheets in the same workbook? with the sheets changing on each
Find request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can locating "FIND" results be made easier on the eyes? [Offic

--
Brymor

"What a clever guy you are". I knew there'd be someone out there with the
answer.
It works a treat. That Chip Pearson must be some super Whiz-kid. His
Rowliner Add-in, on his site, looks very interesting also. I may give that a
go for another project.

All that remains now is for me to find a solution to my second question. Any
ideas?
Thanks anyway, you're a ***star****

"Brymor" wrote:

I have many thousand Names listed against separately numbered cells on many
A4 pages on one worksheet.
e.g. Numbered Cell: BZ,2012[with No 20251] against Named Cell: CA,2012 [with
NAME]

Then, when I want to view a name against a particular number I use the
Edit-Find facility, which works well. But, with so many on the sheet, its
not easy to spot the one thats selected. So, is there a way one can
incorporate a colour thats automatically applied to the selected cell?
My eyes are Very Old and would appreciate some assistance in spotting the
cell!

Also, is it possible to locate and automatically show Found numbers on
different sheets in the same workbook? with the sheets changing on each
Find request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A little more detail about the second half would help. Do the other sheets
already exist, have to be created on the fly if they don't exist? How are
those sheets laid out, etc. etc. Describe the process in more detail?

The answer is YES - it is the details that will have to be worked out.

Yes, Chip's got some great code laying around. Wish I'd have found those
pages ages ago, would have saved me lots of coding time in some my own work,
I'm sure. As you say, the row highlighter may be very beneficial. I created
one of those here in our offices for one of our people in the accounting
department. She has troubles following rows across wide sheets, and the
'highlight current row' setup I built for her was just the ticket.

--

"Brymor" wrote:

I have many thousand Names listed against separately numbered cells on many
A4 pages on one worksheet.
e.g. Numbered Cell: BZ,2012[with No 20251] against Named Cell: CA,2012 [with
NAME]

Then, when I want to view a name against a particular number I use the
Edit-Find facility, which works well. But, with so many on the sheet, its
not easy to spot the one thats selected. So, is there a way one can
incorporate a colour thats automatically applied to the selected cell?
My eyes are Very Old and would appreciate some assistance in spotting the
cell!

Also, is it possible to locate and automatically show Found numbers on
different sheets in the same workbook? with the sheets changing on each
Find request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your prompt reply, Im very grateful.
The extra sheets I wish to locate/highlight are in the same workbook. Sheet
1 is the most important listing and Sheets 2-3-4 are identical layout, [in
fact direct copies of sheet 1] and dont need accessing as often as Sheet 1.
Ive tried to look up a number that I knew was in Sheet 2, when Sheet 1 is
on the screen having changed the Find Option to Within Workbook, and
hoped the correct sheet would appear on screen with the desired number
highlighted.
I hope thats enough info for you but if not pse let me know and Ill try
harder. Youll have to make allowances for my age, Im 70 today!
By the way, where are you/ I presume youre in the States. Im in Cardiff,
(Welsh) Wales UK.

--
Brymor

--

"Brymor" wrote:

I have many thousand Names listed against separately numbered cells on many
A4 pages on one worksheet.
e.g. Numbered Cell: BZ,2012[with No 20251] against Named Cell: CA,2012 [with
NAME]

Then, when I want to view a name against a particular number I use the
Edit-Find facility, which works well. But, with so many on the sheet, its
not easy to spot the one thats selected. So, is there a way one can
incorporate a colour thats automatically applied to the selected cell?
My eyes are Very Old and would appreciate some assistance in spotting the
cell!

Also, is it possible to locate and automatically show Found numbers on
different sheets in the same workbook? with the sheets changing on each
Find request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No need to apologize for actually having survived for 70 years.
Congratulations!

I think we could work up a little "find this number in my workbook and take
me there" kind of thing easily enough, if the methods you've been using have
not been working well for you. We could build a macro that asks you what to
search for and then looks in specific areas on each sheet in turn and stops
and highlights the first match found. We could even ask what (or which)
columns to look in on each sheet, which might make it a little more versatile
for you.

If you are not finding things when you think you should, make sure that the
"Look In" parameter of the Find dialog (if you don't see it, click the
[Options] button) is set to look in Values, not Formulas. Sometimes that
keeps a search from being successful if many cells contain formulas rather
than just values.

That is, you search for 70 and get no return but you can see 70 in a cell in
the search range! But the search was looking in formulas and the cell has a
formula like =A5 + B99 and A5 has 25 in it, B99 has 45 giving the total of
70 you see. But since the Find was looking in formulas, not values, it does
not see the 70.

I'll work on this and post back later. Since we're going to ask for
multiple inputs (what to search for and where) it'll probably involve a
userForm, so I may post a link with a workbook you could download and copy
the form from into your workbook, or if you'd like me to handle that side of
it when I finish with it and your information isn't too personal or
confidential, you could send me a copy of your workbook as an attachment to
an email to: HelpFrom @ jlathamsite.com just remove the spaces before/after
the @ to make it a valid email address.

Yes, I'm in the states, almost right in the middle: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
Interesting that you are from Wales. I have a good internet friend who
lives in New York City who is from Wales and returns regularly to visit her
family there.

--

"Brymor" wrote:

I have many thousand Names listed against separately numbered cells on many
A4 pages on one worksheet.
e.g. Numbered Cell: BZ,2012[with No 20251] against Named Cell: CA,2012 [with
NAME]

Then, when I want to view a name against a particular number I use the
Edit-Find facility, which works well. But, with so many on the sheet, its
not easy to spot the one thats selected. So, is there a way one can
incorporate a colour thats automatically applied to the selected cell?
My eyes are Very Old and would appreciate some assistance in spotting the
cell!

Also, is it possible to locate and automatically show Found numbers on
different sheets in the same workbook? with the sheets changing on each
Find request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear JL,
Thanks for your recent advice and Congrats. Before receiving your last note,
I had retried searching as Workbook and believe it or not, it now works. I
dont know why that should be, as in other attempts when choosing the
parameters in Options, I chose workbook/columns/values (as always) and it
just wouldnt jump sheets! NOW IT DOES!!
So, I hope you read this before you go to any more trouble. Youve been
quite helpful enough indeed.
You are a credit to the IT industry.
Re your friend in NY, Id be interested in which part of Wales shes from. I
dont suppose theres any way you could put her in touch with me, is there?

Sorry to bother you further, but Ive been trying to solve another prob this
pm. It concerns my laptop, Office 2003 again and when I tried to install Chip
Pearsons Rowliner Add-in I found that the Add-in facility in Tools has
disappeared. And, its not listed in "Customise" tools in order to put it
back.

Each time I want to use Rowliner now, I have to install it with an Excel
sheet open, but it disappears on closing Excel. I therefore have to
re-install each time I want to use it.
Ive tried ,(using my 2003 disc),to repair Excel but to no avail. Do you
think Ill have to completely un-install Office and then re-install?
Bryan.

Brymor

--

"Brymor" wrote:

I have many thousand Names listed against separately numbered cells on many
A4 pages on one worksheet.
e.g. Numbered Cell: BZ,2012[with No 20251] against Named Cell: CA,2012 [with
NAME]

Then, when I want to view a name against a particular number I use the
Edit-Find facility, which works well. But, with so many on the sheet, its
not easy to spot the one thats selected. So, is there a way one can
incorporate a colour thats automatically applied to the selected cell?
My eyes are Very Old and would appreciate some assistance in spotting the
cell!

Also, is it possible to locate and automatically show Found numbers on
different sheets in the same workbook? with the sheets changing on each
Find request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok - glad to hear it's working properly for you. No time wasted at all - it
was still on my "Things To Do Today" list, now scratched out! <g

RE the person in NYC - go ahead and send me an email just to say hello and
I'll get in touch with her and see if she'd like to contact you.

About the laptop - don't go too far with it just yet, although it might come
down to uninstall/reinstall since repair doesn't seem to have helped. I'll
try to get in touch with Chip Pearson and see if he has encountered this
before with his add-in and if he has, then maybe he can offer some advice
here in this discussion.

--

"Brymor" wrote:

I have many thousand Names listed against separately numbered cells on many
A4 pages on one worksheet.
e.g. Numbered Cell: BZ,2012[with No 20251] against Named Cell: CA,2012 [with
NAME]

Then, when I want to view a name against a particular number I use the
Edit-Find facility, which works well. But, with so many on the sheet, its
not easy to spot the one thats selected. So, is there a way one can
incorporate a colour thats automatically applied to the selected cell?
My eyes are Very Old and would appreciate some assistance in spotting the
cell!

Also, is it possible to locate and automatically show Found numbers on
different sheets in the same workbook? with the sheets changing on each
Find request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A thought: you might go look at the Laptop's setup to see if AddIns were ever
installed on it initially. May not have been.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
go to the Microsoft Office entry and choose [Change]

When the installer gets up and running, instead of choosing "Reinstall or
Repair", choose "Add or Remove Features"

On the next screen leave all of the various Office applications checked, and
then check the box next to "Choose advanced customization of applications."
and continue on to the next screen. Be SURE to leave all of the currently
checked applications checked, so that this process doesn't uninstall any of
them.

Expand the Excel tree and then expand the AddIns tree and choose to run them
all from your computer if they aren't already there (which I'm thinking they
may not be). Then continue on to the end.

Let me know if this helps - just post results here, I've got it set to
notify me of your reply. If it doesn't help, THEN I'll try to find CPearson
and see if he can shed some more light on things.

--

"Brymor" wrote:

I have many thousand Names listed against separately numbered cells on many
A4 pages on one worksheet.
e.g. Numbered Cell: BZ,2012[with No 20251] against Named Cell: CA,2012 [with
NAME]

Then, when I want to view a name against a particular number I use the
Edit-Find facility, which works well. But, with so many on the sheet, its
not easy to spot the one thats selected. So, is there a way one can
incorporate a colour thats automatically applied to the selected cell?
My eyes are Very Old and would appreciate some assistance in spotting the
cell!

Also, is it possible to locate and automatically show Found numbers on
different sheets in the same workbook? with the sheets changing on each
Find request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear JL,
Re your last two posts, for which I thank you once again: I know there were
Add-ons on the laptop previously, as Ive used them in the past. Ill try
your suggestion ASAP, and let you know the result. I did look at the Change
facility but didnt realise the significance of the Customizing
applications.
Re your NYC pal, I've sent you an e-mail with some details.

--
Brymor

--

"Brymor" wrote:

I have many thousand Names listed against separately numbered cells on many
A4 pages on one worksheet.
e.g. Numbered Cell: BZ,2012[with No 20251] against Named Cell: CA,2012 [with
NAME]

Then, when I want to view a name against a particular number I use the
Edit-Find facility, which works well. But, with so many on the sheet, its
not easy to spot the one thats selected. So, is there a way one can
incorporate a colour thats automatically applied to the selected cell?
My eyes are Very Old and would appreciate some assistance in spotting the
cell!

Also, is it possible to locate and automatically show Found numbers on
different sheets in the same workbook? with the sheets changing on each
Find request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

UPDATE: No Joy I'm afraid.
I carried out your instructions, found the Add-ins listing, which contained
the following items: Analysis TP, Euro currency tools, Look-up wiz.,Internet
assist. VBA, Conditional sum wiz., & Solver.
I clicked the drop down delta arrow on the main Add-ins button and chose:
Run All from my computer. Incidentally, my Laptop, (HP), is quite new and up
to date, running XP Home.

I knew the listing would be there, as I've used it before and it was
installed from the same Office 2003 disc as I used to install onto my PC,
which gives no trouble at all.
P'raps I'm a Jonah!
What if I was to try just un-installing Excel and the re-install it, or,
uninstall the lot and re-install Office 2003, as a last resort?

--
Brymor

--

"Brymor" wrote:

I have many thousand Names listed against separately numbered cells on many
A4 pages on one worksheet.
e.g. Numbered Cell: BZ,2012[with No 20251] against Named Cell: CA,2012 [with
NAME]

Then, when I want to view a name against a particular number I use the
Edit-Find facility, which works well. But, with so many on the sheet, its
not easy to spot the one thats selected. So, is there a way one can
incorporate a colour thats automatically applied to the selected cell?
My eyes are Very Old and would appreciate some assistance in spotting the
cell!

Also, is it possible to locate and automatically show Found numbers on
different sheets in the same workbook? with the sheets changing on each
Find request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pnawn da, Brymor,

Since you've already tried Repair and now you've tried this 'custom setup',
unless someone else comes along and has a better idea, then uninstalling and
reinstalling may be the only way to get it fixed. Don't rush into it, in my
response to your email I suggested another place or two that might be able to
shed some light on it.

I'm thinking that perhaps a security setting in some semi-unrelated area may
be affecting that machine's ability to use Add-Ins; something like your
anti-virus, or a anti-spyware type application similar to Microsoft's
Defender ... something like that. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific
place to point you to to look and check.

Hwyl ... for now

--

"Brymor" wrote:

I have many thousand Names listed against separately numbered cells on many
A4 pages on one worksheet.
e.g. Numbered Cell: BZ,2012[with No 20251] against Named Cell: CA,2012 [with
NAME]

Then, when I want to view a name against a particular number I use the
Edit-Find facility, which works well. But, with so many on the sheet, its
not easy to spot the one thats selected. So, is there a way one can
incorporate a colour thats automatically applied to the selected cell?
My eyes are Very Old and would appreciate some assistance in spotting the
cell!

Also, is it possible to locate and automatically show Found numbers on
different sheets in the same workbook? with the sheets changing on each
Find request?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can locating "FIND" results be made easier on the eyes?

Bore Dda JL,
Thanks for your latest post. I notice you mention "Your response to my
e-mail", I haven't received any mail from you up to now, (it's 1120 hrs,
Monday, here at the moment and I see your post was yesterday 9:45 am
Pacific). It might come through eventually.

If when I receive it, I can resolve the prob. I'll let you know.
Meanwhile, I'll send this as a mail as well.
Kind regards.
B.M.
--
Brymor