Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jr Jr is offline

Default sum

I'm triing to add up every thing in one column but I can get past 30 rows. is
there a way of increasing the number. In my speadsheet I have about 1500 rows
and I'm triing to add up 100 to 150 rows at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUM((a1,a3,a5 and so on up to 30),a50,a55 and so on))

just wrap each set of 30 in extra parenthesis

if you mean sum a contiguous range, use

=SUM(A1:A150)

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

Jr wrote:
I'm triing to add up every thing in one column but I can get past 30 rows. is
there a way of increasing the number. In my speadsheet I have about 1500 rows
and I'm triing to add up 100 to 150 rows at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you entering the rows individually?

=SUM(A1,A2,A3,... etc.)
OR
=A1+A2+A3 ... etc.
You can group contiguous cells together.

=SUM(A1:A25,A45:A75,... etc.)

If, on the other hand, *all* your cells are *not* adjoining,
You can use something like this:

=SUM((A1,A3,A7,A10,A20,A24,...etc.))

Where the *double* parenthesis allow you to exceed the 30 argument
restriction.
--
HTH,

RD

"Jr" wrote in message
I'm triing to add up every thing in one column but I can get past 30 rows.
is
there a way of increasing the number. In my speadsheet I have about 1500
rows
and I'm triing to add up 100 to 150 rows at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jr Jr is offline

I tried using =sum(d1419:d1555) but that didn't work. I will try the extra
parenthesis
thanj you

Jr wrote:
I'm triing to add up every thing in one column but I can get past 30 rows. is
there a way of increasing the number. In my speadsheet I have about 1500 rows
and I'm triing to add up 100 to 150 rows at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jr

The only reason I can think of that would cause this formula
=sum(d1419:d1555) not to work is if you had some kind or errors in your data,
something like #N/A or DIV/0! or mnay others... so try something like this:

=SUMIF(D1419:D1555,"<#N/A",D1419:D1555)

HTH
Jean-Guy

Jr wrote:
I'm triing to add up every thing in one column but I can get past 30 rows. is
there a way of increasing the number. In my speadsheet I have about 1500 rows
and I'm triing to add up 100 to 150 rows at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jr Jr is offline

All sugestions worked. I feel stupid because after nothing worked I kept
checking and all the nembers were saved as text.

Jr wrote:
I'm triing to add up every thing in one column but I can get past 30 rows. is
there a way of increasing the number. In my speadsheet I have about 1500 rows
and I'm triing to add up 100 to 150 rows at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jr

What is "didn't work"? Error message? No SUM? Noises from your Hard Drive?

=SUM(D1419:D1555) is the standard method of summing a range.

Maybe your numbers are not numbers but text that look like numbers.

Post back.

Summing 30 cells at a whack for 100 to 150 cells is a lot of typing.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Jr wrote:
I'm triing to add up every thing in one column but I can get past 30 rows. is
there a way of increasing the number. In my speadsheet I have about 1500 rows
and I'm triing to add up 100 to 150 rows at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jr Jr is offline

You were right the numbers were stored as text. Once I fixed that then the
formulars worked. Thank you

Jr wrote:
I'm triing to add up every thing in one column but I can get past 30 rows. is
there a way of increasing the number. In my speadsheet I have about 1500 rows
and I'm triing to add up 100 to 150 rows at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

Looks like it does not have to be grouped in sets of 30.
=SUM((a1, a3, up to 50),a51) works okay.

Jr wrote:
I'm triing to add up every thing in one column but I can get past 30 rows. is
there a way of increasing the number. In my speadsheet I have about 1500 rows
and I'm triing to add up 100 to 150 rows at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My posting was in response to OP's post saying he had fixed the problem so it is
obvious I knew "he did".

You were right the numbers were stored as text. Once I fixed that then the
formulars worked. Thank you

Did you think my post was written in a sarcastic manner?

It was a genuine thank you.

Gord

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:43:09 -0000, "Bob Phillips" wrote:

He did ... 26 minutes before you posted <G

.. .