Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Easier way to copy formula that are linked?

I've been troubled with copying a formula and need to know if there is an
easier way to do it: I have two Excel spreadsheets "a" contains the majority
of the information while I need "b" is a tracking sheet based on some of the
cells in "a". I link cells in "b" to "a" with no problems and when I update
"a" the "b" cells update accordingly. On the "b" spreadsheet 10-12 cells (in
columns) are linked to the "a" spreadsheet - The Problem: when I copy lines
in "b" (because I run out of them) I have to change each column cell to
reflect the correct "a" link. Please help - if that's possible!
--
Michelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's not clear what you're asking.

Post the formulas in question.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Martz" wrote:

I've been troubled with copying a formula and need to know if there is an
easier way to do it: I have two Excel spreadsheets "a" contains the majority
of the information while I need "b" is a tracking sheet based on some of the
cells in "a". I link cells in "b" to "a" with no problems and when I update
"a" the "b" cells update accordingly. On the "b" spreadsheet 10-12 cells (in
columns) are linked to the "a" spreadsheet - The Problem: when I copy lines
in "b" (because I run out of them) I have to change each column cell to
reflect the correct "a" link. Please help - if that's possible!
--
Michelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is the formula used:
='[Duration Formula.xls]Updated Formula 081606'!$A$173

Each cell on "b" corresponds to certain cells in "a" so when I reproduce the
new line in "b" I have to change each column cell in "b" to link to the
correct line in "a" (line 173) ie: new lines would be 170, 167, 164 etc. (so
each cell I have to update to 170, 167, 164) Can I copy the line so when I
change the first cell, all of the other cells in that line will update to the
new line?

Hope that's a clearerererer picture of my question
--
Michelle

"Martz" wrote:

I've been troubled with copying a formula and need to know if there is an
easier way to do it: I have two Excel spreadsheets "a" contains the majority
of the information while I need "b" is a tracking sheet based on some of the
cells in "a". I link cells in "b" to "a" with no problems and when I update
"a" the "b" cells update accordingly. On the "b" spreadsheet 10-12 cells (in
columns) are linked to the "a" spreadsheet - The Problem: when I copy lines
in "b" (because I run out of them) I have to change each column cell to
reflect the correct "a" link. Please help - if that's possible!
--
Michelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, I'm still not following you.

Are you saying that the worksheet Updated Formula is "a" and that the
formula you give below is worksheet "b"?

If that is correct, then try to modify the formula you give below like so:
='[Duration Formula.xls]Updated Formula 081606'!A173 (that is, remove the
dollar signs). The dollar signs indicate absolute references and the lack of
dollar signs indicate relative references. If you need more information
about relative and absolute references in Excel, see he
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/relative.htm

Dave

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Martz" wrote:

I've been troubled with copying a formula and need to know if there is an
easier way to do it: I have two Excel spreadsheets "a" contains the majority
of the information while I need "b" is a tracking sheet based on some of the
cells in "a". I link cells in "b" to "a" with no problems and when I update
"a" the "b" cells update accordingly. On the "b" spreadsheet 10-12 cells (in
columns) are linked to the "a" spreadsheet - The Problem: when I copy lines
in "b" (because I run out of them) I have to change each column cell to
reflect the correct "a" link. Please help - if that's possible!
--
Michelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Worksheet "a" is where the majority of the information is originally entered.
Worksheet "b" is a spin-off (of sorts) including information from "a" and
new information added constantly. When I run out of new lines on "b" I
simply copy and paste new lines to the bottom of the spreadsheet. I copy the
last line with a formula and paste into the new line. The new line has many
columns, all of which need to be corrected to corrospond to the correct
line/column on "a". Currently I tab to each column, click in the cell,
backspace and correct the one or two digits necessary. My question is when I
copy the line, is there a way to make the correction in the first column and
have each column change accordingly instead of doing each one individually?
I hope this is a better explanation of my needs.
--
Michelle