Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default merge of two row's into one row

I am trying to merge two row's into one row. I can merge two cells into one
but when i go to auto fill the row it fill's it with the result of the first
merge. for example: ROW A First Name ROW B Last Name ROW C first name last
name
John DOE
John DOE
Jane DOE
John DOE
I have used paste special value and still get the same result
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Happy new year. I think in Column C that you need a formula to merge the
first and last names from Columns A and B. Assuming your names start in Row
2 (the first row is usually reserved for Column headings), try this: In Cell
C2 type -
A2&" "&B2. The quotes will give you a space between the first and last
name. HTH
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"excel moron" wrote:

I am trying to merge two row's into one row. I can merge two cells into one
but when i go to auto fill the row it fill's it with the result of the first
merge. for example: ROW A First Name ROW B Last Name ROW C first name last
name
John DOE
John DOE
Jane DOE
John DOE
I have used paste special value and still get the same result

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Happy new year. I did that and the result is correct for the first row.
when i copy and paste it for the second row, third row and so forth. It
pastes the result from the first row. the strange thing here is when i click
on the second result it highlights the cell's with different names to the
first one. Sorry if that confuses you more. let me go back to the beginning
I have 1500 first and last names in seperate columns i would like first name
and last name in the same column. I can make it work for indiviual cell's
but it fails to fill the entire column no matter what I have tried to do as
far as copy and paste the only thing I have achieved is to get the first
result in all of the third column

"excel moron" wrote:

I am trying to merge two row's into one row. I can merge two cells into one
but when i go to auto fill the row it fill's it with the result of the first
merge. for example: ROW A First Name ROW B Last Name ROW C first name last
name
John DOE
John DOE
Jane DOE
John DOE
I have used paste special value and still get the same result

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please post the formula you are using. It sounds like you might be using
absolute addressing, rather than relative.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"excel moron" wrote:

I am trying to merge two row's into one row. I can merge two cells into one
but when i go to auto fill the row it fill's it with the result of the first
merge. for example: ROW A First Name ROW B Last Name ROW C first name last
name
John DOE
John DOE
Jane DOE
John DOE
I have used paste special value and still get the same result

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, you've got me excel. I thought your first and last names were in
columns A and B. In C2 you would have =A2&" "&B2. Was I mistaken?
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"excel moron" wrote:

=B2&" "&C2

"excel moron" wrote:

I am trying to merge two row's into one row. I can merge two cells into one
but when i go to auto fill the row it fill's it with the result of the first
merge. for example: ROW A First Name ROW B Last Name ROW C first name last
name
John DOE
John DOE
Jane DOE
John DOE
I have used paste special value and still get the same result

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

not mistaken that's exactly what i have now the issue is it doesn't paste
down it just takes that result and put's it in all the other cells instead of
doing it for the other cell's. so now the next formula is =A3&" "&B3 but the
result is the same as the first one. I am sure this is simple but I can't
work it out.

"Michael" wrote:

Well, you've got me excel. I thought your first and last names were in
columns A and B. In C2 you would have =A2&" "&B2. Was I mistaken?
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"excel moron" wrote:

=B2&" "&C2

"excel moron" wrote:

I am trying to merge two row's into one row. I can merge two cells into one
but when i go to auto fill the row it fill's it with the result of the first
merge. for example: ROW A First Name ROW B Last Name ROW C first name last
name
John DOE
John DOE
Jane DOE
John DOE
I have used paste special value and still get the same result

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel, I'm sorry to say that I cannot replicate your problem. Hopefully, one
of the gurus will pick up this thread and provide an answer. I'd sure like
to know what it is too.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"Michael" wrote:

Well, you've got me excel. I thought your first and last names were in
columns A and B. In C2 you would have =A2&" "&B2. Was I mistaken?
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"excel moron" wrote:

=B2&" "&C2

"excel moron" wrote:

I am trying to merge two row's into one row. I can merge two cells into one
but when i go to auto fill the row it fill's it with the result of the first
merge. for example: ROW A First Name ROW B Last Name ROW C first name last
name
John DOE
John DOE
Jane DOE
John DOE
I have used paste special value and still get the same result

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe recalculation is set to Manula. Change to Automatic.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

doesn't seem to be as if i do a simple formula in the same spreedsheet it
will copy and paste like normal