Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Finding Duplicate UPC Codes in 1 Column

My question is how?

How can I find out if there are duplicates in the UPC Code Column?

--
Jeremy Himmelreich
Computer IT Manager
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Someone may have a more elegant method, but this works for me.

Assume the UPC codes are in range A2:A100 and A1 is a column heading.

In B2 enter the formula =IF(A2=A1,1,"") and fill down.

Wherever there is a 1 in column B you have a duplicate UPC code.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"JeremyH1982" wrote:

My question is how?

How can I find out if there are duplicates in the UPC Code Column?

--
Jeremy Himmelreich
Computer IT Manager
http://home.comcast.net/~jeremy1982
http://www.willitshoe.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use a help column and tag them with a formula

Assume they are in A2:A1000, insert a new column B and in
B2 put

=IF(COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)1,"Duplicate","")

copy down, or if you just want to remove dupluicates you can apply
datafilteradvanced filter, select copy to another location and unique
records only

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

JeremyH1982 wrote:
My question is how?

How can I find out if there are duplicates in the UPC Code Column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I actually should have made myself more clear... sorry,

the UPC Codes in question are 12 digits in length... so many of them will
contain the actual #1 in it...

I want to know how to find if there is another 717922031458 in another cell...

But I don't want to go to find, and type in 717922031458, and then type in
every other UPC Code we have on file... just to make sure it's not someplace
else in the system...

Hope that's more clear... Thanks though.

--

"JeremyH1982" wrote:

My question is how?

How can I find out if there are duplicates in the UPC Code Column?

--
Jeremy Himmelreich
Computer IT Manager
http://home.comcast.net/~jeremy1982
http://www.willitshoe.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well doing it the way you had suggested... datafilteradvanced filter...

There are a total of 5 duplicate UPC Codes...

now, how to find them...

I know there are 5 duplicates, because of the amount of blank cells at the
bottom of the list... when compared side by side the other UPC Code Column,
the list I filtered, came up short by 5 cells...

--

JeremyH1982 wrote:
My question is how?

How can I find out if there are duplicates in the UPC Code Column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another way is to use a Pivot Table just for that column. The layout should
have A1(heading) under row and Count of A1 under DATA. The result will give
you all the UPC's and the number of times they repeat