Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VLOOKUP

I have two speadsheets with a common Employee ID. Both sheets have
information that I would like to combine. Sheet 1 has the list of employees
that I need. Sheet 2 has information that I need to combine with sheet one.
How do I bring them together?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AK AK is offline

Assuming the Employee ID is in Column A in both spreadsheets...

=vlookup(A1,Sheet2!A:E,4,false)

Note: A1 = Cell A1 from Sheet 1

Equation also assumes column E (or the 4th column) contains information you
want to bring to Sheet 1.

Hope this helps.. if we had a little more info I think we could be more
descriptive of the solution

"Susan Fernandez" wrote:

I have two speadsheets with a common Employee ID. Both sheets have
information that I would like to combine. Sheet 1 has the list of employees
that I need. Sheet 2 has information that I need to combine with sheet one.
How do I bring them together?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried this. All I got was the formula in the cell. Please allow me to
give you more information. Sheet 1 is called "Census 12-28-2006". Common
info is in column A on both files. Sheet 2 is called "Learning Care
Enrollment Report 12.27.2006. The information that I need is in column G.
Both sheets have headers. I didn't mention that sheet 2 may have more than
one row with the same employee. Do I add a column on sheet 1? What cell do
I put the formula? Thank you for your help.

"Susan Fernandez" wrote:

I have two speadsheets with a common Employee ID. Both sheets have
information that I would like to combine. Sheet 1 has the list of employees
that I need. Sheet 2 has information that I need to combine with sheet one.
How do I bring them together?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The formula/function detail given by AK should work. For more assistance
with the VLOOKUP function you can utilize EXCEL's 'function wizard' by
selecting 'Insert' from the menu then 'Function.' Find and select the
'VLOOKUP' function. Each paramater needed for the 'VLOOKUP' to work is
explained. This may help get you started.
--
T Tipsy