Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Turn off auto selection of cells when moving mouse

Suddenly now when I click on a cell in Excel, when I move my mouse away from
the cell it starts to highlight all the cells in the direction I move my
mouse, even though I do not have the mouse button clicked to do this. It
won't let me out of cell selection mode and I cannot access the tool bars or
anything unless I Alt+Esc out and then use the Task Manager to close. Even
if I Alt+Esc out switch to another program, the cell selection still occurs
in the background in the directions that my mouse is moving in the other
program.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you see EXT (short for Extend) on the status bar?

If yes, try hitting F8 to toggle this setting. Some have complained that sticky
mouses can do this.

Try gently(!) banging on all the buttons--including the wheelmouse button.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have the same trouble. It occured after coping a section of a web page to
an excel spreadsheet. The EXT is not in the status bar and I don't have any
stuck keys on the keyboard or the mouse. After the copy now any Excel
spreadsheet has the sticky selection problem. The only way around it is to
shut of the computer completely. Help this is not a solution to have to
reboot everytime.