Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Templates

Good morning,

I have a regular Excel file. I then saved it as a template file. When I
click on the template file, it opens my regular Excel file. Is it supposed
to be that way?

I am new to Excel template. What are the benefits of saving as a template
(vs. regular)? My regular Excel file is pulling data from an Access
database, and it will use by the users. Someone mentioned to me that one of
the benefits of templates is users can use it. When they want to save it, it
will prompt them for a new file, which means it will not overwrite the
template.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the user creates a new file base on a template, then they'll get a prompt
when they hit save. They'll see the File|SaveAs dialog.

But you can open the template file (so you can edit it) and that could be
causing confusion.

If you doubleclick on the .xlt (template) file in window explorer, you should be
getting a new workbook based on that template.

If you do File|Properties|General tab, you shouldn't see a file location (since
it hasn't been saved, yet).

If you see a location, then you're opening the template file to edit. This is a
windows setting that can be fixed--but I bet you're not having this trouble.

Personally, I like to do a couple of things.

First, I want to see the file extensions in windows explorer and in Excel's
title bar. Inside excel, if you don't see an extension, then the file (most
likely) hasn't been saved--and you've used the template correctly.

You can use windows explorer to change this setting:
Open windows explorer (Not Internet explorer)
tools|Folder options|View tab
scroll down to: "Hide extensions for known file types"
make sure it's not checked.

Second, I often use a workbook that's been marked readonly (in windows explorer)
as a "template". This isn't a template in excel's technical sense, but it also
means the user can't overwrite the file (without doing something special).

Open Windows explorer
traverse to your folder that holds that file
rightclick on the file
choose properties
mark it readonly.

If you (or anyone else) wants to change this file, you have to do the same
thing, but remove the readonly checkmark.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

Thanks for your help.

Am I supposed to see the file ext in Excel? I am a little confused about
these statements:

First, I want to see the file extensions in windows explorer and in Excel's
title bar. Inside excel, if you don't see an extension, then the file (most
likely) hasn't been saved--and you've used the template correctly.

Can you tell me more? Thanks.

AccessHelp wrote:

Good morning,

I have a regular Excel file. I then saved it as a template file. When I
click on the template file, it opens my regular Excel file. Is it supposed
to be that way?

I am new to Excel template. What are the benefits of saving as a template
(vs. regular)? My regular Excel file is pulling data from an Access
database, and it will use by the users. Someone mentioned to me that one of
the benefits of templates is users can use it. When they want to save it, it
will prompt them for a new file, which means it will not overwrite the
template.

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You mention templates being employed by users.

So, primary question ... are these templates on a network drive?

Second question ... how and where did you save them?
And, do all users' machines have access to this drive?
And, have these machines mapped paths to the templates file directory?

These questions may sound confusing, but setting up networked templates is
easy, as long as you understand the concept.

There are numerous ways to accomplish this.

Post back if you would like network template info.

RD

AccessHelp wrote:

Good morning,

I have a regular Excel file. I then saved it as a template file. When
click on the template file, it opens my regular Excel file. Is it
supposed
to be that way?

I am new to Excel template. What are the benefits of saving as a
template
(vs. regular)? My regular Excel file is pulling data from an Access
database, and it will use by the users. Someone mentioned to me that
one of
the benefits of templates is users can use it. When they want to save
it, it
will prompt them for a new file, which means it will not overwrite the
template.

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you toggle that windows setting to show extensions, then excel's title bar
will show the extension, too.

If you start excel, you'll probably be looking at Book1 (in the title bar) -- no
extension means that it's a brand new workbook.

If you see book1.xls in the title bar, then you're looking at workbook that has
been saved at least once.

So if you open an existing file to edit, do you see the extension that
titlebar? If no, try changing that windows setting.

If you do see extensions, then when you create a workbook based on that
template, there won't be an extension to see.

After you see the extension, you can tell if the users are opening the template
file to edit or creating a new workbook based on that template.

ps. You may want to state how your users are creating the new workbook, too.