Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default In-Cell Dropdown for validation not displaying

Greetings,
I have a workbook with 19 worksheets in it. On one of them, the In-Cell
Dropdown for validation doesn't appear. It works fine on the other 18
sheets. If I set up validation on a "good" sheet and copy/paste
special/validation onto the "bad" sheet, I don't get a dropdown. If I set up
validation on the "bad" sheet and copy/paste special/validation onto a "good"
sheet, it works fine on the good sheet.
It's like there's a "show in-cell dropdown" property on the worksheet that's
set to "false." If I try to type invalid data into the cell, I get the
validation error message, so I know the validation is there. The "In-Cell
dropdown" checkbox is checked. When I go to "goto/special/validation" the
cell highlights. Just no dropdown.
Any thoughts?

Thanks.
--
Mike Lee
McKinney,TX USA
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

FWIW, I've experienced exactly what you mention here in the past, in Excel
97. It appears there's no way to re-activate the "broken" DV dropdown
functionality in that single particular sheet.

See these 2 past threads which discusses the phenomena:
http://tinyurl.com/yxz4nm
http://tinyurl.com/d3las
--
Max
Singapore
"mikelee101" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Greetings Max,
Got it working by replacing the sheet. Here were the steps if anyone ever
needs to repeat. The broken sheet was named Monthly.

-Inserted a new worksheet, named it Monthly2
-Selected all of Monthly and copied/pasted to Monthly2
-Tested the cells with validation on Monthly2 and they worked.
-Changed any defined names that referenced Monthly to reference Monthly2.
-Changed any fomulas that referenced Monthly to Monthly2. (did these last
two with VBA due to the large numbers, but they could easily be done manually
if it's not too many.)
-Deleted Monthly
-Renamed Monthly2 to Monthly.

Back in business.

Thanks for the input. Happy Holidays.
--
Mike Lee
McKinney,TX USA

"mikelee101" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A step I didn't do that would have come in handy was replacing references to
Monthly in charts. Forgot that one and it jacked up my charts a bit.
However, just went in and replaced #REF! with Monthly! after everything and
now it works again.

Thanks again.
--
Mike Lee
McKinney,TX USA

"mikelee101" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Mike, thanks for the replies,
and for sharing with us the replacement steps

Got it working by replacing the sheet...

I restored my position at that time by using my last back-up (T-1 <g),

then re-doing the work pertinent to that particular sheet. Cheers.