Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default multipl HLOOKUP/VLOOKUP Criteria

Hi,

I have a table with releases and month submitted information. I also have
a separate table that is populated with "control" data that is defined on a
monthly basis.

What I would like to do is add a column to the first table that will
auto-populate with the control value from the second table that corresponds
to the release and month submitted data from the first table.

Here is an illustration of the tables:

Table 1

release month submitted
release 1.2.ab oct
release 2.3.gh nov
release 1.2.ab dec
release 2.3.gh oct
release 1.2.ab nov
release 2.3.gh dec

Table 2

control table oct nov dec
release 1.2.ab 8 5 1
release 2.3.gh 2 3 6

If I can create the correct formula, Table 1 would look like this:

release month submitted control data
release 1.2.ab oct 8
release 2.3.gh nov 3
release 1.2.ab dec 1
release 2.3.gh oct 2
release 1.2.ab nov 5
release 2.3.gh dec 6

I do not know if it is possible to next HLOOKUP and VLOOKUP functions
or if there is a better way to do this.

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks!

Jon
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jonathan

Try
=INDEX(Sheet2!$A$1:$D$3,
MATCH(Sheet1!A2,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$3,0),
MATCH(Sheet1!B2,Sheet2!$A$1:$D$1,0))

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Jonathan Horvath" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming table2 is Sheet2!A1:M20

Sheet1!D2: =
INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$M$10,MATCH(A2,Sheet2!$A:$A,0),M ATCH(B2,Sheet2!$A:$A,0))

--
---
HTH

Bob