Old December 14th 06, 05:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I quickly insert numbers 1 to 100 in a column in Excel?

I have a list of itmes that need to be numbered to the right side of the
list. I do not wish to manually enter each number (1 to 100). Is there way
I can enter the number 1, then pull the cursor down the column until the
cells become populated with the rest of the numbers in sequence? I

Old December 14th 06, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1 in a1
2 in a2
grab BOTH cells, drag down

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

Old December 14th 06, 05:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Easiest way:

Enter 1 in first row.
Enter 2 in second row.
Select *both* cells.
*Double click* on the "fill handle" of the 2 cell selection, which will
automatically fill all the rows in that column, as far down as there is data
in the adjoining column.
--

HTH,

RD

Old December 14th 06, 05:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here's one way.

Put a 1 in the first cell

Type these keys: [alt] E I S (short cuts for <edit<fill<series)
Check: Columns
Stop Value: 100
Press [enter]

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

Old December 14th 06, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And yet another.

Enter 1 in first cell.

Right-click on fill handle and drag down.

Release button and select "Fill Series"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old December 14th 06, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Being a dyed-in-the-wool keyboarder, I'm drag-fill aversive....but...
Here's what I'd really like to see....

Put a 1 in a cell
Right-click the fill handle and drag down 1 cell
....Select "Series" from the popup menu
....Enter 100 in "Stop value" (other settings would already be filled properly)
....Press [enter] and the series would extend all the way to 100

But, alas, no....it stops as 2

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

Old December 14th 06, 11:13 PM
Junior Member

Cool

assuming that the list is on a continuous rows - no space row in between - all rows are to be numbered in sequence 1 to 100,,,.

1. select the row before the last row - drag the selection up to the 2nd row of list. then hide rows.
2. type "1" in this cell at the first row, then drag down to the last row, from the bottom right corner handle of the first cell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri