Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default protecting worksheets

Hi, My last question i dont think i explained in enough detail.

I have a workbook shared across a few computers for my employees to view.
The only information they need to see is Sheet 1. However, i dont want them
to be able to view the content in sheet 2 and 3. Can i have confidential or
something like that or a password to type in before anything can be shown
when that sheet is selected.

I have tried password protect through tools but that only stops me entering
data rather than not being able to view the content.

Im sure i have done this before. Can anybody help?

Thanks

David
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm sure there are better ways of doing this, but this works:
Hide the cells in the worksheet you dont want seen (say row 1 through row
500 ), protect that sheet - allow nothing - you can also hide the sheet under
Format - Sheet - Hide

"David Harrison" wrote:

Hi, My last question i dont think i explained in enough detail.

I have a workbook shared across a few computers for my employees to view.
The only information they need to see is Sheet 1. However, i dont want them
to be able to view the content in sheet 2 and 3. Can i have confidential or
something like that or a password to type in before anything can be shown
when that sheet is selected.

I have tried password protect through tools but that only stops me entering
data rather than not being able to view the content.

Im sure i have done this before. Can anybody help?

Thanks

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

David

You can hide those worksheets using FormatSheetHide.

Then ToolsProtectionProtect Workbook.

Supply a password.

Users will not be able to unhide the sheets without a password.

Note: Excel's internal(worksheet and workbook) protection is not very secure and
many password crackers abound on the Internet.

If the data is confidential, don't include it.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:21:01 -0800, David Harrison
wrote:

Hi, My last question i dont think i explained in enough detail.

I have a workbook shared across a few computers for my employees to view.
The only information they need to see is Sheet 1. However, i dont want them
to be able to view the content in sheet 2 and 3. Can i have confidential or
something like that or a password to type in before anything can be shown
when that sheet is selected.

I have tried password protect through tools but that only stops me entering
data rather than not being able to view the content.

Im sure i have done this before. Can anybody help?

Thanks

David

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc