Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Dropping 0

Hi All,

i can't work out why my cells keep dropping leading zeors or what i need to
do to solve the provlem i.e. if i typ in 08070997226 into a cell it drops the
leadin 0.

Please could someon help.

Regards.

--
Flinty
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Give the cell a custom format of:
00000000000

Or format the cell as Text

or precede your entry with an apostrophe: '08070997226

Peter F wrote:

Hi All,

i can't work out why my cells keep dropping leading zeors or what i need to
do to solve the provlem i.e. if i typ in 08070997226 into a cell it drops the
leadin 0.

Please could someon help.

Regards.

--
Flinty

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Either pre format the cells as Text or precede your entry with a single
quote '08070997226
The quote won't show (other than in the formula bar) but will create a
text input.

Alternatively, FormatCellsNumberCustom 00000000000
i.e a custom format of 11 zeros.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Peter F" wrote in message
Hi All,

i can't work out why my cells keep dropping leading zeors or what i
need to
do to solve the provlem i.e. if i typ in 08070997226 into a cell it
drops the
leadin 0.

Please could someon help.

Regards.

--
Flinty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If there are always going to be eleven digits you can format the cell like
this...
00000000000
then you don't even need to enter the leading zeros. Just enter 8070997226
and it will show like 08070997226.

If the number of digits will change, then you will have to format as "text"
or precede all of your entries with an apostrophe like this...
'08070997226
The apostrophe won't show but it will keep the leading zeros. If you do it
this way, then the cells will be ignored by functions like SUM, but can be
used in some formulas (=A1+2 for instance).

"Peter F" wrote:

Hi All,

i can't work out why my cells keep dropping leading zeors or what i need to
do to solve the provlem i.e. if i typ in 08070997226 into a cell it drops the
leadin 0.

Please could someon help.

Regards.

--
Flinty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Peter

Format the cell as "text" before you enter data or proceed your entery with
an apostrophe " ' ".

Mike Rogers

"Peter F" wrote:

Hi All,

i can't work out why my cells keep dropping leading zeors or what i need to
do to solve the provlem i.e. if i typ in 08070997226 into a cell it drops the
leadin 0.

Please could someon help.

Regards.

--