Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Do anyone know how to covert 912:30:44 into seconds

Hello all, I need to covert 912:30:44 into seconds. T
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

An hour is 1/24 th of a day and a second is 1/60 th of an hour.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"mbasensation" wrote in message
Hello all, I need to covert 912:30:44 into seconds. T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Don,

I'm new at this so below really doesn't mean much to me. Can you please
help me by typying out what 1/24 and 1/60 should actuallly be?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

An hour is 1/24 th of a day and a second is 1/60 th of an hour.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"mbasensation" wrote in message
Hello all, I need to covert 912:30:44 into seconds. T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In other words, multiply.

Multiply the hours by 60 (60 minutes in an hour) and multipy the result by
60 again (60 seconds in a minute). Put that number aside. Multiply the
minutes by 60 (agian, 60 seconds in a minute). Hold on to that number. Now,
take all three numbers (including the numbers you already had for seconds)
and add them together.

Ah, the magic of maths.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

An hour is 1/24 th of a day and a second is 1/60 th of an hour.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"mbasensation" wrote in message
Hello all, I need to covert 912:30:44 into seconds. T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1/24 is correct, 1/60 should actually be 1/3600.

In other words if you've got a cell containing 912:30:44 formatted as time
(which in Excel's terms is as a number of days), then use the formula
=A1*24*3600 and format the result as General (or number).
--
David Biddulph

"Don Guillett" wrote:

An hour is 1/24 th of a day and a second is 1/60 th of an hour.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"mbasensation" wrote in message
Hello all, I need to covert 912:30:44 into seconds. T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I take it that 912:30:44 represents 912 hours, 30 minutes and 44 seconds. To
get total seconds you could simply custom format the cell that contains that
value as [s] or by using a formula in another cell, assuming your data is in
A1

=A1*86400

format cell as general

where does 373 come from?

Hello all, I need to covert 912:30:44 into seconds. T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks everyone, but I guess I'm slower than most.

I get 373 from a spreadsheet that my co-worker left. Once you take the
formula
=A1*86400 I need to / by total completed for the week. My hours, minutes
and seconds represent 7 days.

Now when I complete the formula =A1*86400/9563 I get 8244 would that be the
correct seconds?

Wow, I've been working on this since 7 this morning. Didn't know how DAH I
was with excel. Co-worker went on vacation and her notes are not very clear.

Hello all, I need to covert 912:30:44 into seconds. T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay, I got it. she must have written her total down incorrectly. I didn't
format my cell to general.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU