Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Subtraction Chart

I want to create a chart with a major number, then input various debit
amounts in the next cells across and end with a final cell showing the
balance left. I have tried "sum" but have not been successful. I work across
the chart not down.

Example in C1 entered $2000 as opening amount, then subtract from C2 $225,
C3 $150, C4 $467, C5 $825. C 15 should then show a remaining balance of $333.
--
Busy Bunnie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You say you are working across the chart, but the references you've given
are all down one column.
In C15, use the formula =C1-SUM(C2:C5) [or =C1-SUM(C2:C14) if you may want
to put extra debit items in C6 to C14].
--
David Biddulph

"Bunnie" wrote in message
I want to create a chart with a major number, then input various debit
amounts in the next cells across and end with a final cell showing the
balance left. I have tried "sum" but have not been successful. I work
across
the chart not down.

Example in C1 entered $2000 as opening amount, then subtract from C2 $225,
C3 $150, C4 $467, C5 $825. C 15 should then show a remaining balance of
$333.
--
Busy Bunnie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I work across the chart not down.

Then why are your values all in column C?

Anyway, if you want C15 to show C1 minus all the other cells you listed,
write the simple formula for that:

=C1-C2-C3-C4-C5

or

=C1-SUM(C2:C5)

assuming all values are shown as positive numbers.

If the amounts to be subtracted have a minus sign, then a sum of the whole
range should do it.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Bunnie" wrote in message
I want to create a chart with a major number, then input various debit
amounts in the next cells across and end with a final cell showing the
balance left. I have tried "sum" but have not been successful. I work
across
the chart not down.

Example in C1 entered $2000 as opening amount, then subtract from C2 $225,
C3 $150, C4 $467, C5 $825. C 15 should then show a remaining balance of
$333.
--
Busy Bunnie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

I advice a different design, which is more flexible.

On empty sheet, into range A1:C1 enter headers
Date, Account, Sum

E1="Balance:"
F1=SUMIF(B:B,"Income",C:C)-SUMIF(B:B,"Spending",C:C)

Format column A as Date in any valid date format on your choice.
Format column C and cell F1 as Currency (or General or Number)

Whenever you add money, enter "Income" as account into column B, and the sum
(positive number) into column C..
Whenever you substract money, enter "Spending" into column B, and again the
sum (again positive number) into column C.
(Every transaction will be in separate row. My advice is also to apply data
validation list to column B, so you can select accounts from dropdown, and
non-standard entries will be restricted)
You can have any number of different transactions, both Income and Spending,
and current balance is calculated immediately.

When you enter transaction date for every transaction too, then you can
design some report sheet(s), where start and end balances for selected time
interval, and summary incomes and spendings for this time interval are
displayed.

To prevent headers and balance to be hidden when scrollung down the table,
use Freeze Panes feature to freeze 1st row on top of Excel window. And
applying Autofilter to your transaction table may be useful too.

Arvi Laanemets

"Bunnie" wrote in message
I want to create a chart with a major number, then input various debit
amounts in the next cells across and end with a final cell showing the
balance left. I have tried "sum" but have not been successful. I work

across
the chart not down.

Example in C1 entered $2000 as opening amount, then subtract from C2 $225,
C3 $150, C4 $467, C5 $825. C 15 should then show a remaining balance of

$333.
--
Busy Bunnie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I am new to Excel. I am a senior
citizen and learning is a little bit slower. Also, as I am very new to the
group, I do not know how to rate a post, but yours was the most helpful.
Thank you and have a great day.
--
Busy Bunnie