Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default strange character

When I export from an internal appplciation to excel, this strange character
appears in the column next to the numbers. This is what the character looks
like Â.

It seems to have an effct on my ability to accurately sort any column where
this character appears.

Can anyone help me. Even if it is a way of finding this character on the
keyboard and I could do a global replace.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this for dealing with that situation in the futu

First: Identify the character
------------------------------------
Edit the cell and copy only the  character
Edit an empty cell and insert that character (using [ctrl]+V)
(assuming you put it into A1)
B1: =CODE(A1)

(B1 returns 194, the ASCII code for that character.)

Next: remove the character from the data
Select the range containing the offensive character.

Then...From the Excel main menu:
<edit<replace
Find what: Hold down [alt]...type 0194....release [alt]
Replace with: (Leave this field blank)
Click the [Replace All] button

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"B of A BDO" wrote:

When I export from an internal appplciation to excel, this strange character
appears in the column next to the numbers. This is what the character looks
like Â.

It seems to have an effct on my ability to accurately sort any column where
this character appears.

Can anyone help me. Even if it is a way of finding this character on the
keyboard and I could do a global replace.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try editreplace

what: ALT + 0194(using numpad)

with: nothing

Replace all.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 08:39:01 -0800, B of A BDO
wrote:

When I export from an internal appplciation to excel, this strange character
appears in the column next to the numbers. This is what the character looks
like Â.

It seems to have an effct on my ability to accurately sort any column where
this character appears.

Can anyone help me. Even if it is a way of finding this character on the
keyboard and I could do a global replace.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sort of on topic:

Enter this A1: <ALT127
B1: =CODE(A1)
C1: =CHAR(B1)

I ran into this a couple of weeks ago in a post. How do you clean the ALT
127's? Nothing I tried worked. The only thing that came close was REPLACE
but that crashed unless all the ALT 127's were in the exact same location.
FIND can't "find" 'em. SUBSTITUTE can't "find" 'em either.

Biff

"B of A BDO" wrote:

When I export from an internal appplciation to excel, this strange
character
appears in the column next to the numbers. This is what the character
looks
like Â.

It seems to have an effct on my ability to accurately sort any column
where
this character appears.

Can anyone help me. Even if it is a way of finding this character on the
keyboard and I could do a global replace.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Doh!

Disregard. Sometimes I just don't think!

If A1 =

Try<ALT127this

B1: <ALT127

=FIND(B1,A1)