Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to find data character width in Excel

In Excel, is there a way to find out the character width of the data in a
column?
I have a column with 60,000 records and each record contains Street names. I
want to know what is the longest possible street name. I also want to look at
the distribution of the character or pixel width of all the street names.
Similarly, I have about 100 other columns with 60,000 records which contain
varying length of text, numeric or memo field data and again I want to find
the character width edge cases and distribution. The end goal is to give
guidance to UI design folks on mean and edge case character width so they can
decide on column width and word wrap.
Excel functions work with the data itself while I am interested in the width
of the data.
Any idea how one could possibly do this in Excel? If its possible in Visual
Basic, can you provide step by step directions since I am a novice in
programming. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not sure if I'm answering the question that you are asking but ...

To get the maximum length of the data in, say, column Q, array enter the
formula:

{=MAX(LEN(Q2:Q60000))}

(use Ctrl-Shift-Enter rather than just Enter)

Not a clue what to say about the rest of the question.

Regards

Trevor