Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EC EC is offline

Default lookups

All,

I have a worksheet full of data that is sorted by account number. I wasnt
to write a lookup up formula that will look at the 'data tab' and if the
account num,ber matches a certain account, then it will pull all of the
information for that account number. For example, in colunm A there are a
list of account numbers and from columns b thru z there is info. I want to
write a formula that will lookup up the account number I want from column A
and if it matches, give me all of the other info.

Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Eric,

With the account numbers in A1, A2, etc:

=VLOOKUP($A1,'Data Tab'!$A$1:$Y$3,COLUMN(B1),0)

Copy to the right and, if needed, down (that is, if you have more than one account number to look up)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"EC" wrote in message ...
| All,
|
| I have a worksheet full of data that is sorted by account number. I wasnt
| to write a lookup up formula that will look at the 'data tab' and if the
| account num,ber matches a certain account, then it will pull all of the
| information for that account number. For example, in colunm A there are a
| list of account numbers and from columns b thru z there is info. I want to
| write a formula that will lookup up the account number I want from column A
| and if it matches, give me all of the other info.
|
| Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
|
| Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EC EC is offline

Niek,

In column A I have the accounts numbers starting in cell A1 and continueing
down through A24 and each account hase info going from Column B thru X. What
i need to do is have the formula search from cell A1 to A24, and if it finds
the account that matches up to the search criteria, take all the info from
cloumn B thru column X and copy it to a certain range in the sheet.

Eric

"EC" wrote in message ...
| All,
|
| I have a worksheet full of data that is sorted by account number. I wasnt
| to write a lookup up formula that will look at the 'data tab' and if the
| account num,ber matches a certain account, then it will pull all of the
| information for that account number. For example, in colunm A there are a
| list of account numbers and from columns b thru z there is info. I want to
| write a formula that will lookup up the account number I want from column A
| and if it matches, give me all of the other info.
|
| Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
|
| Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the recipe I gave you. Strip the copying down if you don't need that.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"EC" wrote in message ...
| Niek,
|
| In column A I have the accounts numbers starting in cell A1 and continueing
| down through A24 and each account hase info going from Column B thru X. What
| i need to do is have the formula search from cell A1 to A24, and if it finds
| the account that matches up to the search criteria, take all the info from
| cloumn B thru column X and copy it to a certain range in the sheet.
|
| Eric
|
| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Hi Eric,
|
| With the account numbers in A1, A2, etc:
|
| =VLOOKUP($A1,'Data Tab'!$A$1:$Y$3,COLUMN(B1),0)
|
| Copy to the right and, if needed, down (that is, if you have more than one account number to look up)
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "EC" wrote in message ...
| | All,
| |
| | I have a worksheet full of data that is sorted by account number. I wasnt
| | to write a lookup up formula that will look at the 'data tab' and if the
| | account num,ber matches a certain account, then it will pull all of the
| | information for that account number. For example, in colunm A there are a
| | list of account numbers and from columns b thru z there is info. I want to
| | write a formula that will lookup up the account number I want from column A
| | and if it matches, give me all of the other info.
| |
| | Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
| |
| | Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EC EC is offline

ok, I'll give it a shot. Ome other questions, on a different note. Lets say
I have a cell that has a whole bunhc of differents words in this 1 cell. Is
there a way I can list these words in alphabetical order?

Eric

"EC" wrote:

All,

I have a worksheet full of data that is sorted by account number. I wasnt
to write a lookup up formula that will look at the 'data tab' and if the
account num,ber matches a certain account, then it will pull all of the
information for that account number. For example, in colunm A there are a
list of account numbers and from columns b thru z there is info. I want to
write a formula that will lookup up the account number I want from column A
and if it matches, give me all of the other info.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Eric,

On your last question:

Use DataText to Columns, wit a space as separator. Then sort the columns (Options, Left to right)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel