Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default FILE AUTO-RENAME

I have an excel file that I share daily for use with employees that
know limited excel. I mention this because every day, the file
"disappears" from our network drive. By this I mean that it is renamed
to an unknown extension that looks kind of like "0FA123D" etc.

I know this happens to the file when it is shared and also not shared,
but accessed by more than one person. Right now I have the file open
by one location for the day and just accessed by another. They close
it and re-open when they need to see the updates.

Any thoughts/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

--

Dave Peterson