Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can I create Multiple passwords to edit multiple ranges?

I am using Excel 2003 and trying to create a spreadsheet that I can lock
entirely but allow certain users to make changes to certain cells by entering
a password. I've tried the "Allow Users to Edit Ranges" option, but cannot
get it to work. I've created the range and password, but when I lock the
spreadsheet, the range of cells remain locked and I can't figure out how to
unlock them with the preset password. The Excel Help files don't mention
anything about this. Am I missing something?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I use xl2003, also.

With the worksheet unprotected:

I selected a range
tools|Protection|Allow users to edit a range
I clicked the new button
and since I had a range selected, xl just asked me for a password for that range
(I used the default name, but could have changed the address if I wanted)

Then I confirmed the password that I used.

Then I protected the worksheet.

I tried to make a change to another cell and got yelled at.

I tried to make a change to one of those cells in that range and got prompted
for a password.

It seemed to work fine.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,
I did the same thing, but get weird results. Here's what I've done:

I first make sure that NO cells are unlocked.

Select a range, go to ToolsProtectionAllow Users to edit Ranges

As you said, the range is already there. I set a password and confirm it.
I then click the "Protect Sheet" button. I make sure "select unlocked cells"
is checked in the "Allow all users of this worksheet to:" section. I then
set a password for the sheet and confirm it. When I try to edit a cell in
the range it prompts me for a password and accepts it when I enter it, but
only lets me enter data in the FIRST cell of the range?!?!? HELP!! LOL

Conker10382 wrote:

I am using Excel 2003 and trying to create a spreadsheet that I can lock
entirely but allow certain users to make changes to certain cells by entering
a password. I've tried the "Allow Users to Edit Ranges" option, but cannot
get it to work. I've created the range and password, but when I lock the
spreadsheet, the range of cells remain locked and I can't figure out how to
unlock them with the preset password. The Excel Help files don't mention
anything about this. Am I missing something?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And you're positive that you used a larger range in the "allow users to edit a
range" dialog?

I just tried it again and it worked fine for me.

Does it work if you create a new workbook and try it on that new worksheet?

(I don't have another guess.)

Conker10382 wrote:

I am using Excel 2003 and trying to create a spreadsheet that I can lock
entirely but allow certain users to make changes to certain cells by entering
a password. I've tried the "Allow Users to Edit Ranges" option, but cannot
get it to work. I've created the range and password, but when I lock the
spreadsheet, the range of cells remain locked and I can't figure out how to
unlock them with the preset password. The Excel Help files don't mention
anything about this. Am I missing something?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave. Sorry about taking so long to reply. I was away from work.
Yes. My "user allowed" range looks like this: $C$8:$I$9

I've noticed something strange. The one cell that excel allows me to edit
is the one cell that is left selected when I protect the sheet. If that cell
is not in the user's range it simply will not allow me to even attempt to
enter a password for the range.

There must be some inert option in the program that I have or do not have
selected. Thanks to your help I've been able to get promted for the
password. At least that is progress. I'll have to work our the kinks myself.

Thanks again!

PS. Tried the new workbook idea. Same issue. :(

Conker10382 wrote:

I am using Excel 2003 and trying to create a spreadsheet that I can lock
entirely but allow certain users to make changes to certain cells by entering
a password. I've tried the "Allow Users to Edit Ranges" option, but cannot
get it to work. I've created the range and password, but when I lock the
spreadsheet, the range of cells remain locked and I can't figure out how to
unlock them with the preset password. The Excel Help files don't mention
anything about this. Am I missing something?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Once again, sorry about the late reply, but thank you SO much. It turned out
that was exactly what my problem was! I guess it usually is something simple
with excel. Thanks again! You saved my project!