Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default date problems

When I put in a date on the spread sheet, for instance 11/10/06 it comes out
12/03/03. In the formula bar, it say 12/03/2203. Excell worked fine a week
ago. I tried clearing the cell, went to format for date 11/11/06 is what I
want to use. I even opened a new spread sheet and the same thing happens.
My computer date is fine, dont know what else to check.
Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Is the difference always the same.........if you type in 11/11/06 does it
display 12/04/03, etc..........

Do yo have any file that starts up automatically when XL starts?.......if
so, perhaps a start-up macro is doing it?

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"piute" wrote:

When I put in a date on the spread sheet, for instance 11/10/06 it comes out
12/03/03. In the formula bar, it say 12/03/2203. Excell worked fine a week
ago. I tried clearing the cell, went to format for date 11/11/06 is what I
want to use. I even opened a new spread sheet and the same thing happens.
My computer date is fine, dont know what else to check.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Durned if I know.......with no macros or formulas in play and just typing the
date in a new sheet and getting such inconsistant deviations..........only
thing I can think of is a corrupt install of Excel..........sorry.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"piute" wrote:

When I put in a date on the spread sheet, for instance 11/10/06 it comes out
12/03/03. In the formula bar, it say 12/03/2203. Excell worked fine a week
ago. I tried clearing the cell, went to format for date 11/11/06 is what I
want to use. I even opened a new spread sheet and the same thing happens.
My computer date is fine, dont know what else to check.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You say no macros, but I'd check.

Close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe
file|Open yourworkbook.xls

and test it out...

And do you get the same problem with every workbook?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

If you type 111106 (no spaces, hyphens or slashes) into a cell
preformatted as Date, then I get 12/03/2004.
Don't ask me why as the serial date for 12/03/2004 is 38324
Try typing in 121106, 131106, 141106, 151106, 161106 and you get

29/07/2231
01/05/2286
17/09/2313
02/02/2341
20/06/2368

Very weird!!!

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"piute" wrote:

When I put in a date on the spread sheet, for instance 11/10/06
it comes out
12/03/03. In the formula bar, it say 12/03/2203. Excell worked
fine a week
ago. I tried clearing the cell, went to format for date 11/11/06
is what I
want to use. I even opened a new spread sheet and the same thing
happens.
My computer date is fine, dont know what else to check.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One more guess...

Anything in your Autocorrect list that would affect this?

I still don't have a good idea.

"piute" wrote:

When I put in a date on the spread sheet, for instance 11/10/06 it comes out
12/03/03. In the formula bar, it say 12/03/2203. Excell worked fine a week
ago. I tried clearing the cell, went to format for date 11/11/06 is what I
want to use. I even opened a new spread sheet and the same thing happens.
My computer date is fine, dont know what else to check.
Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see nothing in there . I tried a couple of things, but nothing has helped.
Every computer in this office is stand alone, and we all have the same
problem. I wonder if some upgrade the puter automatically does could affect
the spread sheet

"piute" wrote:

When I put in a date on the spread sheet, for instance 11/10/06 it comes out
12/03/03. In the formula bar, it say 12/03/2203. Excell worked fine a week
ago. I tried clearing the cell, went to format for date 11/11/06 is what I
want to use. I even opened a new spread sheet and the same thing happens.
My computer date is fine, dont know what else to check.
Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're not typing in those slashes, are you?

If you don't type in the slashes, then excel just sees it as a number:
111106 (111,106)

Typing 111106 in a cell and giving that cell a format of a date, just means that
you want the date that is 111,106 days after a base date (usually Dec 31, 1899
for wintel users).

If I type 111106 in a cell that's formatted as a date, I get 03/12/2204.

You've got to give excel some indication that you want a date.

"piute" wrote:

When I put in a date on the spread sheet, for instance 11/10/06 it comes out
12/03/03. In the formula bar, it say 12/03/2203. Excell worked fine a week
ago. I tried clearing the cell, went to format for date 11/11/06 is what I
want to use. I even opened a new spread sheet and the same thing happens.
My computer date is fine, dont know what else to check.
Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

My mistake.
Typing late last night, I read 12/03/04 as 12/03/2004 as opposed to
12/03/2204.
The serial date for 12/03/2204 (that's 12 March 2204) is 111106, which
is what you entered into a cell.

Following on with 121106 (which I did), is 10,000 days later, which
correctly gives the date of 29/07/2231

Excel is behaving correctly, and treating a number entered to a date
formatted cell as a serial date, then converting that to a calendar
date.

Apologies for the sloppy thinking late last night - put it down to old
age and tiredness!!!

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"piute" wrote:

When I put in a date on the spread sheet, for instance
11/10/06
it comes out
12/03/03. In the formula bar, it say 12/03/2203. Excell
worked
fine a week
ago. I tried clearing the cell, went to format for date
11/11/06
is what I
want to use. I even opened a new spread sheet and the same
thing
happens.
My computer date is fine, dont know what else to check.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Good Detective work Dave..........!

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"piute" wrote:

When I put in a date on the spread sheet, for instance 11/10/06 it comes out
12/03/03. In the formula bar, it say 12/03/2203. Excell worked fine a week
ago. I tried clearing the cell, went to format for date 11/11/06 is what I
want to use. I even opened a new spread sheet and the same thing happens.
My computer date is fine, dont know what else to check.
Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think we were all confused by the OP's statement that he typed in the date.

CLR wrote:

Good Detective work Dave..........!

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3