Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Drop down list

First of all I have created a list of clients, from that list of clients the
user can view, and select in a cell using the drop down tool. This drop down
tool does not allow any other entries except for the ones from the list is
there away I can put in another entry without the error popping up? Another
question is that when the user presses t for example, it would be good if
the drop down list goes to the ts strait away without having to go through
the list.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave

To allow other entries, go to the Error tab on the DV dialogue and
untick the box.

You can go to the first T etc., if you break your list up, with a single
cell at the beginning of each change in the alphabet, with A, B C etc.
then type T in the DV cell before pressing the dropdown, it will start
at T.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Dave" wrote in message
First of all I have created a list of clients, from that list of
clients the user can view, and select in a cell using the drop down
tool. This drop down tool does not allow any other entries except for
the ones from the list is there away I can put in another entry
without the error popping up? Another question is that when the user
presses t for example, it would be good if the drop down list goes to
the ts strait away without having to go through the list.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave

Assuming a Data Validation List drop-down.

To allow users to enter a not-on-the-list item in the cell disable the "show
error alert after user enters invalid data".

The new item will not be added to the list however.

To do this would require VBA code.

As far as autocomplete goes...........DV lists cannot autocomplete.

You need a combo box for that.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for code.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP