Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Drop down list

Dave

Assuming a Data Validation List drop-down.

To allow users to enter a not-on-the-list item in the cell disable the "show
error alert after user enters invalid data".

The new item will not be added to the list however.

To do this would require VBA code.

As far as autocomplete goes...........DV lists cannot autocomplete.

You need a combo box for that.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for code.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 18:41:56 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

First of all I have created a list of clients, from that list of clients the
user can view, and select in a cell using the drop down tool. This drop down
tool does not allow any other entries except for the ones from the list is
there away I can put in another entry without the error popping up? Another
question is that when the user presses t for example, it would be good if
the drop down list goes to the ts strait away without having to go through
the list.