Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "Weird" characters in cells

I've opened a text-file in Excel.

Some of the cells contain a "weird" character that looks like a square
box. The "weird" character follow the last "normal" character in the
cell. For example, a cell contains "normal" characters like:

MARSALLA LAVON

and the "weird" character follows LAVON

I've posted the cell's contents here but this is what results:

"MARSALLA LAVON "

Since MARSALLA here looks like it's preceded by a double-quote
and LAVON here looks like it's followed by a double-quote, I've
tried replacing the double-quotes with nothing (i.e., "") but Excel
can't find the data I'm searching for.

How do I delete or replace the "weird characters"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

It sounds as though it might be the line feed character.
Try
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"")

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"GARY" wrote in message
s.com...
I've opened a text-file in Excel.

Some of the cells contain a "weird" character that looks like a square
box. The "weird" character follow the last "normal" character in the
cell. For example, a cell contains "normal" characters like:

MARSALLA LAVON

and the "weird" character follows LAVON

I've posted the cell's contents here but this is what results:

"MARSALLA LAVON "

Since MARSALLA here looks like it's preceded by a double-quote
and LAVON here looks like it's followed by a double-quote, I've
tried replacing the double-quotes with nothing (i.e., "") but Excel
can't find the data I'm searching for.

How do I delete or replace the "weird characters"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And if it isn't CHAR(10), you can find which character it is by
=CODE(RIGHT(A1)), assuming that you're looking at the last character in cell
A1.
--
David Biddulph

"Roger Govier" wrote in message
Hi

It sounds as though it might be the line feed character.
Try
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"")

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"GARY" wrote in message
s.com...
I've opened a text-file in Excel.

Some of the cells contain a "weird" character that looks like a square
box. The "weird" character follow the last "normal" character in the
cell. For example, a cell contains "normal" characters like:

MARSALLA LAVON

and the "weird" character follows LAVON

I've posted the cell's contents here but this is what results:

"MARSALLA LAVON "

Since MARSALLA here looks like it's preceded by a double-quote
and LAVON here looks like it's followed by a double-quote, I've
tried replacing the double-quotes with nothing (i.e., "") but Excel
can't find the data I'm searching for.

How do I delete or replace the "weird characters"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Before Roger and David replied to my posting, I tried EDIT/REPLACE.

In the REPLACE box, I left the FIND WHAT box empty and typed ## in the
REPLACE WITH box and clicked on REPLACE ALL.

Then, I typed ## in the FIND WHAT box and left the REPLACE WITH box
empty and clicked on REPLACE ALL.

The "weird" characters were gone!