Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date sort problem

I have grouped my date fields by Yr, Mnth, date. Everything looks good
at the onset. However after a few days the date field sorts
chronologicly by date but breaks in the middle and starts over again.
It has Jan 10-31 at the top. It then goes to Feb 10 - 29 and then March
10, etc. Half way through the list it then shows <03/14/2005 and then
shows Jan 1-9, Feb 1-9 and so on. e gads. any way to keep the days
listed Jan 1-31, etc?
dl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Denhamlee" wrote:

I have grouped my date fields by Yr, Mnth, date. Everything looks good
at the onset. However after a few days the date field sorts
chronologicly by date but breaks in the middle and starts over again.
It has Jan 10-31 at the top. It then goes to Feb 10 - 29 and then March
10, etc. Half way through the list it then shows <03/14/2005 and then
shows Jan 1-9, Feb 1-9 and so on. e gads. any way to keep the days
listed Jan 1-31, etc?
dl

No matter how they may appear in your spreadsheet, Excel stores all dates as
a serial number equal to the number of days since a January 1, 1900. So when
you are sorting dates, you are really just sorting a bunch of large numbers.

If your dates do not sort correctly, it is usually because the value that
"breaks" the sequence is not really the date it appears to be.

So check very carefully at the point where things go bad. Make sure the
cell is formatted as a date (any display format). Choose a display format
that includes a 4-digit year if only to verify the data you are working with.

With no other information to work with, that is all I can suggest now.

B+
HALinNY
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you sure you've got dates and not text?
You can try adding helper columns =YEAR(A1) =MONTH(A1) and =DAY(A1). These
will let you see whether the "dates" are what you think they are, and you
could sort by those columns, but if you've got real dates they should sort
OK. Also, make sure that you select the entire range before you sort.
--
David Biddulph

oups.com...