Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell Comment Sticks While Using Validation

Hi,

While using validation to create drop-down menus, I have encountered a very
annoying problem. Everytime I open the files in question anew and click on a
cell, one of the cell comments on the worksheet becomes unhidden and hovers
over any cell that I click, completely obscuring it. Because of this, I
can't use any of the drop down menus. The program is essentially frozen at
this point. I can fix the problem by deleting the comment on the offending
cell, but everytime I open the file anew, the problem persists with another
comment on another cell.

Does anyone know why this is happening/how to permanently fix the problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Those may be data validation input messages, instead of comments. If you
don't need them, you can turn them off. There are instructions he

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think that may be it! Now why couldn't any of the IT guys in my company
find something so simple? And why would Excel toggle those things on as a
default if it just screws everything up?

You don't need to answer those questions, too.

Thanks for your help!

Pugmalion1 wrote:
Hi,

While using validation to create drop-down menus, I have encountered a very
annoying problem. Everytime I open the files in question anew and click on a
cell, one of the cell comments on the worksheet becomes unhidden and hovers
over any cell that I click, completely obscuring it. Because of this, I
can't use any of the drop down menus. The program is essentially frozen at
this point. I can fix the problem by deleting the comment on the offending
cell, but everytime I open the file anew, the problem persists with another
comment on another cell.

Does anyone know why this is happening/how to permanently fix the problem?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I may have spoken too soon. I turned off the input messages on all of the
sheets, saved, and clicked a cell, and I had the same problem. It's
definitely a case of a cell comment unhiding and obscuring any cell that I
click. If I highlight the comment as if I was going to edit the text and
then press "delete", It deletes the comment and fixes the problem until the
next person accesses the sheet, but at the rate these sheets are going to
accessed, there won't be any cell comments left in a week's time.

I have to use them quite often in order to list extenuating information, so
not using them isn't an option I'd like to consider.

Do you or does anyone else have any other ideas? It's diriving me crazy.

Pugmalion1 wrote:
Hi,

While using validation to create drop-down menus, I have encountered a very
annoying problem. Everytime I open the files in question anew and click on a
cell, one of the cell comments on the worksheet becomes unhidden and hovers
over any cell that I click, completely obscuring it. Because of this, I
can't use any of the drop down menus. The program is essentially frozen at
this point. I can fix the problem by deleting the comment on the offending
cell, but everytime I open the file anew, the problem persists with another
comment on another cell.

Does anyone know why this is happening/how to permanently fix the problem?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are there macros in the workbook? Perhaps a macro is showing the active
cell's comment when you select a cell.

To check for code, right-click on the sheet tab, and choose View Code.

Pugmalion1 wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, no macros...

I don't use them for these files because they are already fairly large and
take a good deal of time to load. With as much manipulation as they are
going to need, a macro would just cause me heacaches when I QC them.

It's not the comment on the cell that I click that becomes unhidden; it's
just one random comment somewhere on the sheet, and it follows me to any cell
that I click, even if it's on the complete opposite side of the sheet. It
basically shrinks and forms itself to about the size of the cell and hovers
directly over the top of any cell I select. It's a very strange problem, and
I've yet to find a permanent fix.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes. I've had to copy a couple of them already because the abovementioned
problem had caused the validation to freeze in one cell, and it could not be
fixed by re-validating. After copying to a new workbook and saving and
re-entering the file, the problem started anew.

I'm currently at work creating these files, so if you can think of anything
worth trying, I'll give it a shot.