Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Debra Dalgleish Debra Dalgleish is offline

Default Cell Comment Sticks While Using Validation

Are there macros in the workbook? Perhaps a macro is showing the active
cell's comment when you select a cell.

To check for code, right-click on the sheet tab, and choose View Code.

Pugmalion1 wrote:
I may have spoken too soon. I turned off the input messages on all of the
sheets, saved, and clicked a cell, and I had the same problem. It's
definitely a case of a cell comment unhiding and obscuring any cell that I
click. If I highlight the comment as if I was going to edit the text and
then press "delete", It deletes the comment and fixes the problem until the
next person accesses the sheet, but at the rate these sheets are going to
accessed, there won't be any cell comments left in a week's time.

I have to use them quite often in order to list extenuating information, so
not using them isn't an option I'd like to consider.

Do you or does anyone else have any other ideas? It's diriving me crazy.

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

Those may be data validation input messages, instead of comments. If you
don't need them, you can turn them off. There are instructions he

Pugmalion1 wrote:

Hi,

While using validation to create drop-down menus, I have encountered a very
annoying problem. Everytime I open the files in question anew and click on a
cell, one of the cell comments on the worksheet becomes unhidden and hovers
over any cell that I click, completely obscuring it. Because of this, I
can't use any of the drop down menus. The program is essentially frozen at
this point. I can fix the problem by deleting the comment on the offending
cell, but everytime I open the file anew, the problem persists with another
comment on another cell.

Does anyone know why this is happening/how to permanently fix the problem?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures