Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Empty Cell writes over full cell

Hi all

What I want to do is this:
1. Column Name
2. Column if there is an appendix for the value, empty, otherwise the Value
3. Column if there is an appendix for the value, value & appendix, otherwise
empty.

Why do I want to this. Well my employer wants to have all the values on the
same
level, disregarding an appendix if it exists.

I made the Formulas work, but if i do following in the second row:
if(appendix="";value;"") 'just short version, don't want to confuse anyone!
and in the third row:
if(appendix="";"";value & appendix)
the 2nd and 3rd Column are both aligned right, so if the 2nd column is empty
the 3rd column should write over the 2nd. But it does that only if the Cell is
totally empty and not, like in my case, filled with a formula which returns
"".

Any Help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Carlo
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Carlo
Can't follow what you are saying. Are you talking about different
columns? What is an "appendix for the value"? Provide examples of what you
have, then what you want to have. Provide details like:
Cell A1 has this.
Cell A2 has that.
I want cell A3 to have this other.
Etc.
HTH Otto
"Carlo" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Otto

sorry about the misleading Question.
i have 3 columns (a,b,c)
column a is a text, b or c is the corresponding value.
the corresponding value could be a number 0.00 then
it would be in column b or it could be a percent value
like 0.00% which should show in column C. The problem,
thats why i need to do it that way, is that the "." of every
number, eiter with or without the % sign should be directly
beneath the upper one. if i put every value in column b it
would look like this:
A B
blblablabl 8.23
basdjieief 2.58%

what i want to achieve thou is following:
A B C
blblablabl 8.23
basdjieief 2.58%
(well more or less, it can't be done exactly with spaces)
in the second example, the value 2.58% is in column C,
column C is only as wide as the percent symbol!
The problem is, if i write a formula in cell B2, the
major part of the Number in Cell C2 will be cut off and
it looks like that
A B C
blblablabl 8.23
basdjieief %

Does anyone knows how i can get Excel to display the
whole C2!?

Hope this time it's understandable.
Thanks in advance
Carlo