Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Grouping DAtes in Pivot Tables

When you group dates by year in a pivot table it is always by calendar years
i.e. January to December. This isn't very useful if your financial year runs
for example from March to February. Is there a way of customising the
grouping within a pivot table?
--
TheBerbs
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There's nothing built into the pivot table that will allow you to group
dates by fiscal year. You could add a column to the source data, in
which you calculate the Fiscal year and month. Then, add that field to
the pivot table.

berby65 wrote:
When you group dates by year in a pivot table it is always by calendar years
i.e. January to December. This isn't very useful if your financial year runs
for example from March to February. Is there a way of customising the
grouping within a pivot table?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, I thought as much. Unfortunately the source data is an external
database rather than a spreadsheet. I will have to come up with another work
around. It is a shame becuase apart from this, the grouping function is very
useful.
--
TheBerbs

berby65 wrote:
When you group dates by year in a pivot table it is always by calendar years
i.e. January to December. This isn't very useful if your financial year runs
for example from March to February. Is there a way of customising the
grouping within a pivot table?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

In addition to what Elizabeth has posted regarding Custom sort order,
here in the UK the fiscal year runs from 06/04/2006 to 05/04/2007
If in your grouping, you set the start date to be 06/04/2006 and end
date to 05/04/2007, and Group by Year and Month then your table would
show

<06/04/2006
2006 Apr
May
2007 Mar
Apr
05/04/2007

Where April in the respective years would show data for only the
respective qualifying days.

--
Regards

Roger Govier