Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Updating a spreadsheet automatically

First, let me describe the scenario.

In our department, we have a master figures spreadsheet that is created
on a weekly basis. This spreadsheet contains a whole host of
information that is not required, plus some thatis required for MI.

We also have weekly summary spreadsheets, that show an extract of
certain pieces of information. However, the information is not new
each week. Last weeks spreadsheet will be copied to a new one, the
figures from last week will remain and be added to, depending on the
stats received this week, and so a new running total of stats is
received. This process is then completed again next week, and so on.

What I would like to do, is automate it, rather than having to find the
figures each week. However, figures from previous weeks have to remain
intact. By this I mean, we must be able to load any spreadsheet for a
previous week, and see what the state of play was that week. This is
where I think I would have a problem with automation. If the weekly MI
spreadsheet is automatically updated each week, loading a previous
weeks spreadsheet would overwrite the figures contained in it, with
those from the current weeks file.

Is there a way to 'lock' the figures once they have been updated, so
that further loads will not update the data?

Rgds

Duncs

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs
[...]

Under Data use get external data, new database query, excel file. Select the data you want to automate. Each week copy your query over to a new location then refresh that query. The original query will remain with the historic values.