ykffc

Default to hide the arrow for numbers as text

I want to leave say 2 numbers (such as 0002 or 0012) as text in two cells. I
know I can do in at least 2 ways:
1) type an apostrophe before typing 0002 or 0012, or
2) set the format of the 2 cells as text, then simply enter 0002 and 0012

Problem is I hate to see the green arrow at the top left corner of each of
these 2 cells. When the cell is selected, a small box with a little
exclamation mark and a drop down box appears. If the cursor is placed on the
drop down arrow, it displays a text message: the number of this cells is
formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe. It is too much, thank you.
I know what I am doing. I have hundreds of such cells that contain numbers
and I want them to display as text. The feature (seems to apply for Excel
2000) is not useful for me.

What should I do to turn it off, that is, to remove the hundreds of green
flag now appearing in my spreadsheet?

Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 04:31:02 -0800, "ykffc"
wrote:

[...]

Tools/Options/Error Checking
DEselect "Number stored as Text"

--ron