Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Print Preview command not working

When I click on the print preview toolbar button (Excel 2003) I get the print
dialog box, not the print preview screen. It used to be okay, and all of a
sudden it changed. Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance.
--
Pip Langford
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just a guess......

Does the Print toolbar button bring up the Print Preview window? If
yes...then check the [Shift] key. It may be stuck down.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Pip Langford" wrote:

When I click on the print preview toolbar button (Excel 2003) I get the print
dialog box, not the print preview screen. It used to be okay, and all of a
sudden it changed. Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance.
--
Pip Langford

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can you still get to print preview via File|Print preview?

If you can, what happens if you start excel in safe mode:

Close excel
windows start button
excel /safe
open a workbook (or just change a few cells)
then click the print preview button to test.

If it works, then close excel and reopen it normally.

Then try resetting that toolbar.

Tools|Customize|toolbars|toolbars tab
select the Standard toolbar
click the Reset button.

If you do this, then any customized changes you've made to that toolbar will be
lost and you'll have to do those again.

Pip Langford wrote:

When I click on the print preview toolbar button (Excel 2003) I get the print
dialog box, not the print preview screen. It used to be okay, and all of a
sudden it changed. Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance.
--
Pip Langford

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried the methods that other tolds you about? If yes, and you are
still getting this error then my idea is you have not installed any printer.
Install atleast any one printer even if you don't have and then try to see
the Print Preview.

Hope this help, let us know!

Pip Langford wrote:

When I click on the print preview toolbar button (Excel 2003) I get the print
dialog box, not the print preview screen. It used to be okay, and all of a
sudden it changed. Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance.
--
Pip Langford

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

StartRun excel.exe /s

Note the <space before the /s

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:25:01 -0800, Pip Langford
wrote:

How do I do this? I don't seem to have a safe mode?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I opened Excel in safe mode and the print preview button worked as it should.
:-) So I closed it, went back in, reset the toolbar, but I'm back to the
same problem again.

Any other suggestions??
--
Pip Langford

Pip Langford wrote:

When I click on the print preview toolbar button (Excel 2003) I get the print
dialog box, not the print preview screen. It used to be okay, and all of a
sudden it changed. Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance.
--
Pip Langford

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure if this will fix the problem (I thought that resetting the toolbar
would at least temporarily fix the problem).

But I'd look for some sort of addin/workbook that opens when excel opens and
"steals" that function of that toolbar icon.

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

Pip Langford wrote:

When I click on the print preview toolbar button (Excel 2003) I get the print
dialog box, not the print preview screen. It used to be okay, and all of a
sudden it changed. Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance.
--
Pip Langford

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you!! :-)

I went to the Chip Pearson site and found a solution to remove an addin that
was hiding in the XLStart folder that was causing the problem.
--
Pip Langford