Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default CSV-file defective

Hello everybody

Ive got the following problem.
I have created a CSV-file in Excel but there is a problem when I import it.
The problem is, that only the first 16 lines will be imported all right and
the rest is defective.

Here is a little cutaway:

11;nominal;;4,55;;;;;;;;;
;effektive;;4,65;;;;;;;;;
10;nominal;;4,85;;;;;;;;;
;effektive;;4,97;;;;;;;;;
20119;GrKl ;;0;100;;;;;;;;
;;;41;;;;;;;;;

11;nominal;;4,65;
;effektive;;4,75;
10;nominal;;4,95;
;effektive;;5,07;
20120;GrKl ;;0;150

At the lower chapter the semicolons are failure, which are the crevices
symbolised. Why dont import it correctly?

Im working with MS-Office 2003/XP. I import it into the Standard editor of
WinXP Prof. If I dispose a file in the 2007 Office Beta and import it,
everything will be all right.

Can you help me?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You haven't said what your problem is when you import. Is the information
all going into one column? If it is, you can try Data/ Text to Columns, and
can again specify the delimiters. Is the problem when you import into
Excel, or into another application?

If into Excel, try copying your csv file and calling it txt, then opening it
with Excel will open a Wizard which gives you the opportunity to specify the
field delimiters, whether they be commas, semi-colons, or whatever.
Experiment with settings there.

Are you saying that it is separating successfully at semi-colons for some
lines but not for others? Do you have quotes enclosing the data on some
lines? Have you looked at your csv file with something like Notepad to see
what is different between the successful and unsuccessful lines?

I don't understand the part where you say "At the lower chapter the
semicolons are failure, which are the crevices symbolised." Perhaps
something has got confused in the translation from your own language?

If you are trying to export to another application, is the problem that
there are empty fields at the end of each line in the first part of your
data, but not in the later part? When I imported your example data into
Excel and saved it again as csv it included the empty fields at the end of
the later lines too.
--
David Biddulph

"Fachi" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok I see. I think my translation was not the best. I try it a second time....

I created a CSV-file in Excel (Office XP) and now when I open my CSV-file
with the editor it will be put out incorrectly. Form line 1 to line 16 it's
all right. But from line 17 the semicolons at the end of the line are
missing. Can you tell me why and how to solve this problem?

This is an example:

1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1 line 1 to 16 is correct
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
1;1;1;1;11;1;;
2;2;2;2;2;2 from the 17th line the rear semicolons are
missing
2;2;2;2;2;2
2;2;2;2;2;2
2;2;2;2;2;2

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may be able to create your CSV file correctly by filling those empty cells
with a place holder. I'd use a formula:

=""

The cell will look empty, but should be processed ok.

If you want more control...

Saved from a previous post:

This might describe the problem of too many commas in CSV files:

Column Delimiters Missing in Spreadsheet Saved as Text

(It actually describes missing delimiter, but if some are "missing", maybe the
ones appearing are "extra".)

(But a lot of programs (excel included) don't care about those extra columns.
Maybe you don't have to care, either???)

Maybe you could write your own exporting program that would behave exactly the
way you want:

Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:

Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
www.smokeylake.com/excel
(or directly: http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)

Chip Pearson's:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm

J.E. McGimpsey's:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

(or maybe you could build your own formula and copy|paste into Notepad.)

Take a look at Earl's program. I bet it does what you want.

Fachi wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson