Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Appropriate formula needed!

I have a spread sheet with 24000 records, and these records are divided by
category (each category has over 1000 records).
My question is, I need to assign a number per category, I tried Vlookup but
cant seam to work it out.
I already have numbers per category in sheet2

i.e:
Sheet1 has the following
Category Assigned Nr.
Cat1 100 (thsi shoudl be the result of the formula)
Cat1 100 ----- | | -----
Cat1 100 ----- | | -----
..
..
..
Cat2 300
Cat2 300
..
..
..

Sheet2 has this:
Category Assigned Nr.
Cat1 100
Cat2 300
Cat3 700

Thank you,
Adnan
--
Please post all your inquiries on this community so we can all benefit -
Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assume the lookup table is in range A1:B10, the category number is in column
B, and your lookup value is in A20: =VLOOKUP(A20,A1:B10,2,FALSE) Copy down
as needed. You wil, of course, have to change the cell references to suit
your particular spreadsheet, but that's the syntax you're looking for.

If it doesn't work, post the formula you're using.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Adnan" wrote:

I have a spread sheet with 24000 records, and these records are divided by
category (each category has over 1000 records).
My question is, I need to assign a number per category, I tried Vlookup but
cant seam to work it out.
I already have numbers per category in sheet2

i.e:
Sheet1 has the following
Category Assigned Nr.
Cat1 100 (thsi shoudl be the result of the formula)
Cat1 100 ----- | | -----
Cat1 100 ----- | | -----
.
.