Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Getting the equation of the trend line onto the excel sheet

I have graph that is changing continuously and its trendline changes
accordingly. I use the equation of the trendline to do some calculations.
Since the data is quite dynamic and I have a large number of graphs, is there
a way to have the trendline equation printed in a cell. I can then write a
macro to do my calculations.
Thanks.

Farooq

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Read the LINEST documentation. It will give you SLOPE, INTERCEPT, and more.

Better yet, read Bernard Liengme's explanation:

http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/exceltips/Polynomial.htm

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Try the LINEST() function.
David Biddulph

"Farooq Sheri" wrote in message
I have graph that is changing continuously and its trendline changes
accordingly. I use the equation of the trendline to do some
calculations.
Since the data is quite dynamic and I have a large number of graphs, is
there
a way to have the trendline equation printed in a cell. I can then
write a
macro to do my calculations.
Thanks.

Farooq

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Alternately, Tushar Mehta has enhanced VBA code by David Braden to extract
coefficients from the chart trendline.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...da30f29434786d

If you are using an Excel version prior to 2007, this would be a useful
sanity check. LINEST prior to 2003 can lose numerical accuracy for
numerically challenging problems. LINEST in 2003 is overall much better
numerically, but coefficients of exactly zero are not to be trusted.

Jerry