Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Which will use more memory?

Hi,

We have a spreadsheet that is nearly 8 MB. We need to chart some of the
data and I thought to avoid problems with memory (old machines) that we could
use a macro to extract data to a new spreadsheet. Then I thought that doing
it that way would mean having the new spreadsheet (where the macro is running
from) and the spreadsheet that the data is being taken from open at the same
time.

What's the best way to do this or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

TIA
--
Smudge
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What kind of memory limitations are you talking about here? I routinely use
a 80 MB spreadsheet which forces XL to only use about 60MB of memory. Unless
your computer is more than 10 years old, I don't think that's a lot of
memory. I would imagine that the memory demands would be less for an 8MB
sppreadsheet.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Smudge" wrote:

Hi,

We have a spreadsheet that is nearly 8 MB. We need to chart some of the
data and I thought to avoid problems with memory (old machines) that we could
use a macro to extract data to a new spreadsheet. Then I thought that doing
it that way would mean having the new spreadsheet (where the macro is running
from) and the spreadsheet that the data is being taken from open at the same
time.

What's the best way to do this or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

TIA
--
Smudge

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry Dave,

You're talking to the least technically minded person. All I can tell you is
that new computers installed this year are so much faster than the old ones.
The 80mb spreadsheet has corrupted a number of times and I thought perhaps
that this was due to the capacity of the old computer being used. (Told you
not very technical)

Even if memory is not an issue, am I right to think that both spreadsheets
have to be open at the same time to extract data?

--
Smudge