Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Tallying Lists

I have a worksheet containing three columns of data representing a list of
materials and quantities. The first column contains a Part Number, the second
column is a Part Number Name, and the third column is Quantity. Part Numbers
(and their associated names) repeat through out this listing.

I need to query the worksheet to determine what the total quantity of each
Part Number is, and on a second worksheet display in 3 columns; Part Number;
Part Number Name; and Total Quantity (where Total Quantity equally the sum of
all the same Part Number quantities). On the second worksheet only one
instance of each Part Number & Part Number Name should appear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mike,
Use Subtotals from the Data menu can subtotal all of your
part number quantities. It does required that the list be sorted.
Once sub-totaled, you can copy the visible cells to another sheet.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Mike"
wrote in message
I have a worksheet containing three columns of data representing a list of
materials and quantities. The first column contains a Part Number, the second
column is a Part Number Name, and the third column is Quantity. Part Numbers
(and their associated names) repeat through out this listing.

I need to query the worksheet to determine what the total quantity of each
Part Number is, and on a second worksheet display in 3 columns; Part Number;
Part Number Name; and Total Quantity (where Total Quantity equally the sum of
all the same Part Number quantities). On the second worksheet only one
instance of each Part Number & Part Number Name should appear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, but what I was looking for was a formula I could put in the second
worksheet that would automatically extract this data from the first worksheet
and generate a summary report. Perhaps there is just no way to do this
without manual intervention(?).

wrote in message
I have a worksheet containing three columns of data representing a list of
materials and quantities. The first column contains a Part Number, the second
column is a Part Number Name, and the third column is Quantity. Part Numbers
(and their associated names) repeat through out this listing.

I need to query the worksheet to determine what the total quantity of each
Part Number is, and on a second worksheet display in 3 columns; Part Number;
Part Number Name; and Total Quantity (where Total Quantity equally the sum of
all the same Part Number quantities). On the second worksheet only one
instance of each Part Number & Part Number Name should appear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It could all be done with some VBA code.
I doubt if it could be done using formulas.
However, Max and Bob Phillips continue to amaze me with their formula solutions.

Sorting, subtotaling and copying the results to a new sheet should only require
20 or 30 seconds for the whole procedure.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA