Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Dropdown list - goto with keystroke

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the trick in setting up a dropdown list, using the data
validate option, that allows the user to goto a specific point in the list.

For example: the list is sorted in alphabetic order and I want the users to
be able to go straight to 'P' by keying 'p' instead of having to scroll all
the way through the list.

Can it be done?

Cheers

Giz
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can it be done?

No, Use a Combobox

See

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Gizmo63" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the trick in setting up a dropdown list, using the data
validate option, that allows the user to goto a specific point in the list.

For example: the list is sorted in alphabetic order and I want the users to
be able to go straight to 'P' by keying 'p' instead of having to scroll all
the way through the list.

Can it be done?

Cheers

Giz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Had a feeling that would be the answer?!?

Cheers

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Can it be done?

No, Use a Combobox

See

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Gizmo63" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the trick in setting up a dropdown list, using the data
validate option, that allows the user to goto a specific point in the list.

For example: the list is sorted in alphabetic order and I want the users to
be able to go straight to 'P' by keying 'p' instead of having to scroll all
the way through the list.

Can it be done?

Cheers

Giz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could direct the user to the Name Box to the left of the formula
bar. This shows all names referring to ranges in the workbook.

Hide any names you don't want the user to see (e.g.
Names("print_area").Visible=False).

You can either manually define the names yourself and they appear in
the dropdown or you could use a formula so the user types this into the
box.

For the given example, with a cell in column A selected, choose Insert
Names Define (Ctrl+F3); Name: P ; Refers to:

=INDEX(!A:A,MATCH("P*",!A:A,0))

Now typing "P" in the Name Box takes you to the first occurence of "P"
in the same column.

Gizmo63 wrote:

Had a feeling that would be the answer?!?

Cheers

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Can it be done?

No, Use a Combobox