GLS

Default Re-formatting of dates from Excel to CSV

When I save an Excel worksheet as a CSV file the dates are re-formatted from
04/11/2004 to 4/11/2004 (British style Date ddmmyyyy). This doesnt happen
immediately on saving but when the CSV file is closed and then reopened.

Any suggestions how I can prevent it dropping the leading zero?

Many thanks

GLS
--
GLS
Oliver Ferns via OfficeKB.com

In a word, No!! All I can suggest is you reformat the cells when the file
is opened. I tried preceeding the date with a ' and Excel got shot of the '
AND the leading 0. The only other suggestion I have is to save as a TXT
file and use the text import wizard to format the column as text, then the
leading 0 remains but Excel doesn't recognize them as dates until you * by
1. Bit of a pain innit?

Hth,
Oli

Earl Kiosterud

GLS,

It's probably writing the data to the csv as it appears in the sheet. It's
the reopening with Excel that's using a different format. The next question
is: Is the csv for some other application? If so, you're good to go. To
see exactly what's in the csv, open it with NotePad, or any text editor.
There's more on text files and Excel at www.smokeylake.com/excel.
--
Earl Kiosterud