Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Workbook Name Suffixed With Number

Hi

Just recently (not sure why it has happened), when I open an excel file from
a shortcut I already had placed on my desktop, it opens the file and suffixs
the workbook name with a 1 (eg Test.xls would open as Test1.xls).

This means that it is not the actual file open, but a copy (so when I click
on save I get the save as box).

Does anyone know why this is happening and more importantly how to fix
(please!!!)

I've tried deleting the shortcut and resetting it. My Xl startup folder is
empty apart from a PDMaker.xlt file

Aaron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

The file is an xla file (not xlt) and there is not a Test.xlt in that
folder...

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Are you sure that the file is not named Test.xlt, that is a template?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Aaron Brett" <Aaron wrote in message
Hi

Just recently (not sure why it has happened), when I open an excel file

from
a shortcut I already had placed on my desktop, it opens the file and

suffixs
the workbook name with a 1 (eg Test.xls would open as Test1.xls).

This means that it is not the actual file open, but a copy (so when I

click
on save I get the save as box).

Does anyone know why this is happening and more importantly how to fix
(please!!!)

I've tried deleting the shortcut and resetting it. My Xl startup folder

is
empty apart from a PDMaker.xlt file

Aaron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm confused.

Does the file that the shortcut points to have an extension of .xla or .xls?

I've never seen this happen with shortcuts, but I have seen it happen with .xls
files themselves.

The first thing that I'd try is to reregister excel.

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

Then test it out.

If that doesn't work...

Close excel
start windows explorer
tools|folder options|file types tab
scroll down to the xls extension (microsoft excel worksheet)
click the advanced button
click on the Open item in the Actions box
click set as default
(ok your way out)

If you're really having trouble with .xla (addin) files, too and reregistering
excel didn't help, try the same stuff inside windows explorer--but for the .xla
extension.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson