Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default import data to excel

1st I'm a novice so please explain accordingly. I've attempted to copy data
from a web page (www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/ftb06.htm) and paste onto an
excel worksheet (excel 2003 and/or 2000). The dialogue box informs me that
the copied info is not the same size as .... and after proceeding the data is
pasted into column A only. I'm seeking help that will enable this info to be
separated into columns that will allow me to paste the team names and their
associated ratings only and update this info on a weekly basis. welcome and
appreciate any and all help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I went to the url I got
"The requested document not found"

Anyway, have you tried right click in the field import to excel? You can
then record a macro and then modify to pull in the variables in a loop.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"pacent" wrote in message
1st I'm a novice so please explain accordingly. I've attempted to copy
data
from a web page (
www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/ftb06.htm) and paste onto
an
excel worksheet (excel 2003 and/or 2000). The dialogue box informs me that
the copied info is not the same size as .... and after proceeding the data
is
pasted into column A only. I'm seeking help that will enable this info to
be
separated into columns that will allow me to paste the team names and
their
associated ratings only and update this info on a weekly basis. welcome
and
appreciate any and all help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem comes about because of the format of the data on the webpage. Try
pasting, select column "A" and try Data - Text to Columns. This will bring up
a wizard which talks you though getting the data into the format you need.

Good luck
Geoff
--
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and
those who don''''t.

"pacent" wrote:

1st I'm a novice so please explain accordingly. I've attempted to copy data
from a web page (www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/ftb06.htm) and paste onto an
excel worksheet (excel 2003 and/or 2000). The dialogue box informs me that
the copied info is not the same size as .... and after proceeding the data is
pasted into column A only. I'm seeking help that will enable this info to be
separated into columns that will allow me to paste the team names and their
associated ratings only and update this info on a weekly basis. welcome and
appreciate any and all help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi pacent

I'm glad that worked - as far as automating the process goes, there is
probably a way to record a macro, or at least code one, to pick up the data
you need from this page. But that is beyond me at present - what I would
suggest is (leaving a little work to you), insert a hyperlink to the page
somewhere on the sheet where it won't get in the way of the data, then your
browser can go to the page when you click the link. From there, just copy and
paste as you have been. You'll just need to do that weekly

[You can find Hyperlink on the Insert menu - in the dialog that comes up,
select the "Browse the web" button, go to the page you want, then copy the
url from the address bar in your browser and paste into the "Address" field
in the dialog.]

I hope that's helpful - good luck again :D
--

"pacent" wrote:

1st I'm a novice so please explain accordingly. I've attempted to copy data
from a web page (www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/ftb06.htm) and paste onto an
excel worksheet (excel 2003 and/or 2000). The dialogue box informs me that
the copied info is not the same size as .... and after proceeding the data is
pasted into column A only. I'm seeking help that will enable this info to be
separated into columns that will allow me to paste the team names and their
associated ratings only and update this info on a weekly basis. welcome and
appreciate any and all help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using ie7, This IS the url that gave me the error

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/ftb06.htm
"The requested document was not found."
I can't be of help if I can't get to it. If I can I will try to help.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"pacent" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The address for the site is http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt06.htm
Appreciate your patience and insight. In the meantime, I'm homeworking the

"pacent" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use this to open the url in excel and then play around with datatext to
columns to extract desired data.

Sub OpenUp()
'Workbooks.Open ("C:\MyFolder\MyBook.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt06.htm")

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software