Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Import data into Excel sheet from CSV File

I am using the following code to import data from a csv file into a
sheet in my workbook. I keep getting the 1004 error for the line
wkbk.Worksheets("Employee List").Cells.Select:

Private Sub Download_Employee_Data_Click()
Dim sh As Worksheet
Dim rng As Range
Dim wb As Workbook, wkbk As Workbook

Set wkbk = ActiveWorkbook
Set wb = Workbooks.Open(FileName:= "Hourly employees.csv")
wb.Worksheets(1).Cells.Select
Selection.Copy
wkbk.Worksheets("Employee List").Cells.Select
SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False

Since the source data and destination sheet have the same number of
columns, I am using the cells.select functionality. Once the new data
is copied onto the Employees List sheet, I would also like to update a
user defined name (Employee_List) with the new data. I can use the
following command to detect the range, but I'm not sure what syntax to
use to change the defined name:

Set sh = Worksheets("Employee List")
set rng = sh.Range(sh.Cells(1, "A"), _
sh.Cells(sh.Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp))

Source Data:

Employee Number Last Name First Name HR Organization Name
11111 Last1 First1 BR - ALBUQUERQUE
22222 Last2 First2 BR - ALBUQUERQUE
33333 Last3 First3 BR - ALBUQUERQUE
44444 Last4 First4 BR - ALBUQUERQUE

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Connie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can't select a sheet unless the parent book is active. You can't select
a cell unless the parent sheet is active.

You can replace

wkbk.Worksheets("Employee List").Cells.Select

with
application.Goto wkbk.Worksheets("Employee List").Cells

or

wkbk.Select
wkbk.Worksheets("Employee List").Select
wkbk.Worksheets("Employee List").Cells.Select

Tom Ogilvy

"Connie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Connie,
You can only .Select from the active sheet.
But do need the selects at all ?
wb.Worksheets(1).Cells.Copy
wkbk.Worksheets("Employee List").Cells.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues,
Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

As for the named range update:
Names("Employee_List").RefersTo=

NickHK

"Connie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

NickHK:
I never responded to you, but your suggestion below was a big help!
Thanks for your time; it's much appreciated.

Connie

NickHK wrote:
Connie,
You can only .Select from the active sheet.
But do need the selects at all ?
wb.Worksheets(1).Cells.Copy
wkbk.Worksheets("Employee List").Cells.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues,
Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

As for the named range update:
Names("Employee_List").RefersTo=

NickHK

oups.com...