Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Are Fred Pryor Seminars good?

I'm looking to train a couple of employees on Excel and having to
choose between Fred Pryor Seminars (2-days for $128) versus a local
outfit that charges $700 for a one-day one-on-one training.

Has anyone taken Fred Pryor's Seminars (or heard anything about them)
relating to Excel? Is it a waste of time/money? These employees are
not computer savvy at all. Any insight would be appreciated.

Feel free to email me directly at

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

IMHO, you aren't going to learn very much in a 1 or 2 day course. I've been
playing around with spreadsheets since the mid 80's and I'm still learning!

Community College courses?

Biff

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm looking to train a couple of employees on Excel and having to
choose between Fred Pryor Seminars (2-days for $128) versus a local
outfit that charges $700 for a one-day one-on-one training.

Has anyone taken Fred Pryor's Seminars (or heard anything about them)
relating to Excel? Is it a waste of time/money? These employees are
not computer savvy at all. Any insight would be appreciated.

Feel free to email me directly at

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

I don't know personally about either of your options......I just have a
personal feeling that to spend $700 for training for one day on someone that
is "not computer savvy at all", sounds like overkill to me.....they would
probably be "taught" a lot more than they could learn in that period of
time.......just my opinion.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

" wrote:

I'm looking to train a couple of employees on Excel and having to
choose between Fred Pryor Seminars (2-days for $128) versus a local
outfit that charges $700 for a one-day one-on-one training.

Has anyone taken Fred Pryor's Seminars (or heard anything about them)
relating to Excel? Is it a waste of time/money? These employees are
not computer savvy at all. Any insight would be appreciated.

Feel free to email me directly at

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As CLR metioned, for a 1-day course, they will have so much thrown at them and only be able to retain a fraction of it. Seems like
a waste of $700.

Even a 2-day course will not be sufficient, ESPECIALLY if they are not computer savvy.

Excel can not be learned in one or two days. As Biff mentioned, he's been working with spreadsheets/Excel since the '80's and is
still learning. Same thing here, I'm learnign new things every day.

I would suggest putting that money towards a community college course. The will go slow enough that the student will retain much
more. At my school they split up the Excel class into 3 levels that are 1 credit each, so you don't have to take all 3 levels in
the same semester. Right now my school's tuition is around $60-$70 per credit hour. It will take longer, but it will be cheaper
and the results will be much better.

I hope this helps,

Conan Kelly

wrote in message ups.com...
I'm looking to train a couple of employees on Excel and having to
choose between Fred Pryor Seminars (2-days for $128) versus a local
outfit that charges $700 for a one-day one-on-one training.

Has anyone taken Fred Pryor's Seminars (or heard anything about them)
relating to Excel? Is it a waste of time/money? These employees are
not computer savvy at all. Any insight would be appreciated.

Feel free to email me directly at

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:
I'm looking to train a couple of employees on Excel and having to
choose between Fred Pryor Seminars (2-days for $128) versus a local
outfit that charges $700 for a one-day one-on-one training.
Has anyone taken Fred Pryor's Seminars (or heard anything about them)
relating to Excel? Is it a waste of time/money? These employees are
not computer savvy at all.

If the employees are not computer savvy to begin with, then I assume
that your objective is to expose them to enough of Excel that they can
do just the basic stuff, e.g. spreadsheets to
add/subtract/multiply/divide figures in order to maintain balances --
no fancy formats. The rest they can learn over time as the need
arises.

(Note: If you have any greater expectations, you are mistaken.)

To that end, a $700 seminar even for one person is overkill, not to
mention "a couple" of employees. Arguably, even $128 is too much to
spend.

Several alternatives come to mind.

First, look into 1-day and 2-day adult ed classes that are targeted for
beginners. Typically, they cost $50 or less. They are typically
taught in the evenings and weekends. So expect to compensate your
employees accordingly.

Second, look at the "Dummy" books or better -- something that teaches
"by example". If your employees are college-educated, they should be
able to pick up sufficient training that way.

(Note: If your employees are so "not computer savvy" that they cannot
self-start from a book, you might consider a class in "how to use a PC"
first. Typically, those classes cover Word and Excel in basic ways.
So such a class might meet your needs for Excel training, too.)

Third, go to any college -- even a high school -- and hire a mature
student to teach your employees. You should have a couple specific
problems for the student/teacher to teach your employees to solve.
Again, the objective is to learn "by example".

Finally, whatever you do, if it is expensive, consider training only
one employee, then asking that employee to train the others. My
company has done that in the past with great success.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob Phillips wrote:
wrote:
Finally, whatever you do, if it is expensive, consider training only
one employee, then asking that employee to train the others. My
company has done that in the past with great success.

False economy IMO. If your employee's time is worth less than a bit of
training, why do you keep them?

You seemed to have missed my points, namely: (1) tailor the training
to the employee's capability (for now), and (2) tailor the training to
the employer's expectations of the employee.

My previous comments depend on my assumption that if the employee is
"not computer savvy", the employer does not have high expectations of
the tasks that the employee will perform with Excel; ergo, much of the
expensive training might be wasteful. Conversely, if the employer has
high expectations, then it would be prudent for the employee to become
"computer savvy" before (or while) trying to learn Excel. Most
expensive Excel seminars assume a "computer savvy" user.

All of this depends on my interpretation of what the OP might mean by
"not computer savvy". My interpretation might be wrong. But if I am
right, it might be wasteful for everyone -- and distressful for the
employee -- to train the employee on esoteric features that might not
be required (for now) and might be over the employee's head. Not
everyone needs to be trained in "quantum physics" in order to do "good
science".

Having said that, I realized later that if the employee is a
statistician, for example, it might be reasonable indeed to expect the
employee to learn some of the "esoteric features" of Excel as simply a
new tool of the trade. (Although many would argue that Excel is a poor
tool for that specific example. It is just an example.)

Enough said!