Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Entering Times In Excel

I have a spread sheet that 8 different people access. There are times that
are entered - Arrival Time, Triage Time, To ED Time, Saw MD Time and
Discharge Time. I have formulas to calculated the wait times.

There are lots of problems with people entering the times wrong from the
chart - whether it is a typo or the incorrect time is written on the patient
chart. I need to put something in the worksheet that will not let the person
enter the time if it is wrong.

Example - the person will arrive at 900 and be placed in a room at 830.
This is not possible since they are not even here.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use data validation, with an allow type of custom.

Assume time 1 is in a1, and time 2 is in B1, use a formula of =B1=A1 in B1.

And so on

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Denise" wrote in message
I have a spread sheet that 8 different people access. There are times

that
are entered - Arrival Time, Triage Time, To ED Time, Saw MD Time and
Discharge Time. I have formulas to calculated the wait times.

There are lots of problems with people entering the times wrong from the
chart - whether it is a typo or the incorrect time is written on the

patient
chart. I need to put something in the worksheet that will not let the

person
enter the time if it is wrong.

Example - the person will arrive at 900 and be placed in a room at 830.
This is not possible since they are not even here.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, that didn't work. I have a code in excel where they don't have to
enter the decimels when they are entering the time. When I take the code out
the validation works but then they have to enter the decimels when they enter
the time. Is there a solution to that??

"Denise" wrote in message
I have a spread sheet that 8 different people access. There are times

that
are entered - Arrival Time, Triage Time, To ED Time, Saw MD Time and
Discharge Time. I have formulas to calculated the wait times.

There are lots of problems with people entering the times wrong from the
chart - whether it is a typo or the incorrect time is written on the

patient
chart. I need to put something in the worksheet that will not let the

person
enter the time if it is wrong.

Example - the person will arrive at 900 and be placed in a room at 830.
This is not possible since they are not even here.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I use a fairly simple option to enter the colons when entering times.
Use the "autocorrect options" in "tools"
replace ++ with :

The validation works ok then.

Greetings from NZ
Bill K

"Denise" wrote in message
I have a spread sheet that 8 different people access. There are times

that
are entered - Arrival Time, Triage Time, To ED Time, Saw MD Time and
Discharge Time. I have formulas to calculated the wait times.

There are lots of problems with people entering the times wrong from
the
chart - whether it is a typo or the incorrect time is written on the

patient
chart. I need to put something in the worksheet that will not let the

person
enter the time if it is wrong.

Example - the person will arrive at 900 and be placed in a room at 830.
This is not possible since they are not even here.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bill,
I am confused with this. What format do I use for my cells that times are
entered? Number, time....

And the in the Auto correct I just put in the the replace ++ with :

Then when the time 300 is entered it will change to 3:00??

I must be doing something wrong.

"Denise" wrote in message
I have a spread sheet that 8 different people access. There are times
that
are entered - Arrival Time, Triage Time, To ED Time, Saw MD Time and
Discharge Time. I have formulas to calculated the wait times.

There are lots of problems with people entering the times wrong from
the
chart - whether it is a typo or the incorrect time is written on the
patient
chart. I need to put something in the worksheet that will not let the
person
enter the time if it is wrong.

Example - the person will arrive at 900 and be placed in a room at 830.
This is not possible since they are not even here.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With the autocorrect in place
enter for example 3++00 and it will change to 3:00 as you enter it.

I chose the ++ because all of the entry can be done on the number pad.

regards
Bill K

"Denise" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Denise. Take a look at Chip Pearson's site:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm. It has a procedure for
entering time without a separator. HTH
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"Denise" wrote in message
I have a spread sheet that 8 different people access. There are times
that
are entered - Arrival Time, Triage Time, To ED Time, Saw MD Time and
Discharge Time. I have formulas to calculated the wait times.

There are lots of problems with people entering the times wrong from
the
chart - whether it is a typo or the incorrect time is written on the
patient
chart. I need to put something in the worksheet that will not let the
person
enter the time if it is wrong.

Example - the person will arrive at 900 and be placed in a room at 830.
This is not possible since they are not even here.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Denise,
This is what I came up with:
Cell A4 is first time to be entered.
Column A "Arrival Time"
Column C "Triage Time"
Column E "To ED Time"
Column G "Saw MD Time"
Column I "Discharge Time"
Column K "Total Time"
Format all columns used in the format "hh:mm" This will make calculations
easy.
Cell C4
Conditional Formats:
Condition 1 Cell Value Is, greater than,"=A$4, Format Green
Condition 2 Cell Value Is, less than, "=A$4, Format Red
Copy C4 to E4,G4,I4.
In Cell K4:
"=IF(AND(C4<A4,E4<C4,G4<E4,I4<G4),"NOT POSSIBLE",I4-A4)"
without the "".
What this does is make sure all times are TRUE.

HTH