CML

Default How do I enter a negative dollar amount?

In Excel, I get an error message when trying to enter a negative dollar
amount. "You must enter a dollar amount in this cell." How do I enter a
negative amount without the error message and still have it add up correctly
at the ending column?
Ken Wright

Sounds like somebody has set up Data validation on those cells, and either
you are trying to do something you shouldn't, or the person that built the
sheet didn't foresee all potential entries. Talk to whoever created the
sheet.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"CML" wrote in message
In Excel, I get an error message when trying to enter a negative dollar
amount. "You must enter a dollar amount in this cell." How do I enter a
negative amount without the error message and still have it add up

correctly
at the ending column?

Ragdyer

Select one of the cells with the error message, and then:
<Data <Validation,
And see if you get the validation window with a formula, which you can
change.
--
HTH,

RD

"CML" wrote in message
In Excel, I get an error message when trying to enter a negative dollar
amount. "You must enter a dollar amount in this cell." How do I enter a
negative amount without the error message and still have it add up

correctly
at the ending column?

Ken Wright

which you can change.

Or find out why it was there in the first place and if there was valid
reason that negative values were prohibited :-)

--

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
Select one of the cells with the error message, and then:
<Data <Validation,
And see if you get the validation window with a formula, which you can
change.
--
HTH,

RD

-

-

"CML" wrote in message
In Excel, I get an error message when trying to enter a negative dollar
amount. "You must enter a dollar amount in this cell." How do I enter a
negative amount without the error message and still have it add up

correctly
at the ending column?

Ragdyer

If he can *even get* to the validation window, that means the sheet isn't
protected.

Anyone who doesn't protect a sheet, even *without* a password, shouldn't be
creating any sort of restrictions that can so easily be breached as by
simply clicking on the toolbar.

If the OP finds and by-passes the validation,
IMHO - the sheet creator deserves what he gets !<vbg

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
Select one of the cells with the error message, and then:
<Data <Validation,
And see if you get the validation window with a formula, which you can
change.
--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-

"CML" wrote in message
In Excel, I get an error message when trying to enter a negative

dollar
amount. "You must enter a dollar amount in this cell." How do I enter

negative amount without the error message and still have it add up

correctly
at the ending column?

Ragdyer

I'm really lovable.
Ask my ex, she'll tell you.<g

RD

"Ken Wright" wrote in message
which you can change.

Or find out why it was there in the first place and if there was valid
reason that negative values were prohibited :-)

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission

:-)

"CML" wrote in message
In Excel, I get an error message when trying to enter a negative

dollar
amount. "You must enter a dollar amount in this cell." How do I

enter
negative amount without the error message and still have it add up
correctly
at the ending column?

Ken Wright

LOL :-)