Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting A-Z with 1st row as column header

Normally, if I have a spreadsheet where the first row contains the column
headers, I can click on the A-Z sort button and the first row is
automagically excluded. Occasionally, however, Excel does NOT see the first
row as a header row and sorts it as well. Why? I can't find any rhyme or
reason. All the column headers are entered appropriate (no leading spaces,
no leading funky characters). If I click on Data - Sort and tell it the
first row contains the headers, it all sorts fine. I just don't want to have
to do that for a simple sort. But more than that, it just really bugs me
that I can't figure out WHY it works differently sometimes.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If there is data in the row above what you think is the header row, XL will
not be able to discern the header row.

In other words, assume your header row is on row B. Assume also that you
have something in row A. XL won't be able to tell that the header row is in
row B.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Shirlo" wrote:

Normally, if I have a spreadsheet where the first row contains the column
headers, I can click on the A-Z sort button and the first row is
automagically excluded. Occasionally, however, Excel does NOT see the first
row as a header row and sorts it as well. Why? I can't find any rhyme or
reason. All the column headers are entered appropriate (no leading spaces,
no leading funky characters). If I click on Data - Sort and tell it the
first row contains the headers, it all sorts fine. I just don't want to have
to do that for a simple sort. But more than that, it just really bugs me
that I can't figure out WHY it works differently sometimes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

XL can sometimes pick-up *differences* between headers and data values.

It's a good idea to always differentiate your headers from the data by
either size, or format (bold), or all upper case ... anything different.

That being said, I *never* use the sort keys on the toolbar, and *always*
select the range to be sorted.

XL is right most of the time, but *not* all of the time.
--
HTH,

RD

"Shirlo" wrote in message
Normally, if I have a spreadsheet where the first row contains the column
headers, I can click on the A-Z sort button and the first row is
automagically excluded. Occasionally, however, Excel does NOT see the
first
row as a header row and sorts it as well. Why? I can't find any rhyme or
reason. All the column headers are entered appropriate (no leading
spaces,
no leading funky characters). If I click on Data - Sort and tell it the
first row contains the headers, it all sorts fine. I just don't want to
have
to do that for a simple sort. But more than that, it just really bugs me
that I can't figure out WHY it works differently sometimes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe also that Excel checks for bold font and/or caps in the top row
to determine if it is a header row.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Shirlo"
wrote in message
Normally, if I have a spreadsheet where the first row contains the column
headers, I can click on the A-Z sort button and the first row is
automagically excluded. Occasionally, however, Excel does NOT see the first
row as a header row and sorts it as well. Why? I can't find any rhyme or
reason. All the column headers are entered appropriate (no leading spaces,
no leading funky characters). If I click on Data - Sort and tell it the
first row contains the headers, it all sorts fine. I just don't want to have
to do that for a simple sort. But more than that, it just really bugs me
that I can't figure out WHY it works differently sometimes.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nope...it's the only row. That one I checked on first.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, I'll be.... I changed it to bold and it worked. I never knew that was
one of the requirements. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, I'll be.... I changed it to bold and it worked. I never knew that was
one of the requirements. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Appreciate the feed-back.

RD