Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date formatting

I have never had this problem before, and now, all of a sudden ..!! I'm
frustrated! Ok..here's what's going on:
What I'm trying to do, is format a column of cells, or even just an
individual cell, to display a date as mm/dd/yy. I remember doing this
before, and only having to type in, for example, 010106 if I want the cell to
display 01/01/06 (which obviously woudl be for January 1, 2006). What's
happening is, after i type in my numbers, and hit enter to move on to the
next cell- it changes it for some reason. If i type in 010106 into a date
formatted cell, it displays "09/01/27". What's going on, and how can I fix
it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi!

010106 is being evaluated as 10106 which is serial date 09/01/27 (Sept 1
1927).

See this:

http://cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Biff

"Katie" wrote in message
I have never had this problem before, and now, all of a sudden ..!! I'm
frustrated! Ok..here's what's going on:
What I'm trying to do, is format a column of cells, or even just an
individual cell, to display a date as mm/dd/yy. I remember doing this
before, and only having to type in, for example, 010106 if I want the cell
display 01/01/06 (which obviously woudl be for January 1, 2006). What's
happening is, after i type in my numbers, and hit enter to move on to the
next cell- it changes it for some reason. If i type in 010106 into a date
formatted cell, it displays "09/01/27". What's going on, and how can I
fix
it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Katie

Don't know how you did it before, but Excel by default will not accept dates
typed this way.

See Chip Pearson's site for method of entering dates and times.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Or Bob Phillips' site for the QDE add-in.

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.QDEDownload.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 11:55:01 -0800, Katie
wrote:

I have never had this problem before, and now, all of a sudden ..!! I'm
frustrated! Ok..here's what's going on:
What I'm trying to do, is format a column of cells, or even just an
individual cell, to display a date as mm/dd/yy. I remember doing this
before, and only having to type in, for example, 010106 if I want the cell to
display 01/01/06 (which obviously woudl be for January 1, 2006). What's
happening is, after i type in my numbers, and hit enter to move on to the
next cell- it changes it for some reason. If i type in 010106 into a date
formatted cell, it displays "09/01/27". What's going on, and how can I fix
it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to enter the date as a sting like 010106 and have it
automatically change to a date like 01/01/06 requires an event change macro.
See the instructions provided in the link.