Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date formatting help

Hi guys. I am hoping you can help. I am having trouble getting the Date
formatting to properly respond in Excel (2003).

1. Cell A1 in 'sheet1' displays the date "09/02/2006" The formatting is
set to mm/dd/yyyy

2. In Cell A1 'sheet2' I would like to display the sentence "Current
Situation: 09/02/2006"
- The text should remain constant with the date changing to reflect
the date entered in cell A1 'sheet1'
- My attempted formula was: ="Current Situation: "&'sheet1'!A1
- The end result of this was: "Current Situation: 38952" (without
the quotation marks)

3. In an attempt to isolate my problem, I tried the cell reference
without the constant text and the output was still incorrect.
- In this instance cell A1 "sheet2" formula was: ='sheet1'!A1
- this yielded the response: 38952

How do I get this to properly display. The formatting for both sheets
is mm/dd/yyyy. I am somewhat new to excel so please bare with me but I
suspect the trouble is in my formatting.

Thanks in advance.

Nate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

you could take two approaches:
1. FormatCustom "Current Situation: " mm/dd/yyyy Sheet 2 A1 and no matter
that date you enter it will always show the above
2. When using concatenate function you have to specify the the formatting
using the TEXT ()
similar to this Sht 2 A1 =Text("Current Situation : " & Sht 1A 1,
"mm/dd/yyyy")
Your current formula is returning the serial date rather than the mm/dd/yyyy
you want.
hope it helps

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc